1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going Back to Graduate School - How to Proceed

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am not sure if this is possible or not, and I might be too ambitious, but I am determined to pursue my goal and if I fail, at least I'll know that I tried.

Just turned 31. I have a BS in Physics (I was a non-traditional student and graduated 4 years ago). I have been working as a network engineer, but I truly miss physics.

How should I proceed? I still live in the same town where I went to school. I have a good relationship with my professors and I run into them around town and they always ask me to come and visit. I have some obstacles for graduate school: I need recommendations, and I have obviously been outside the field for a while. How can I get back in the game?

Some ideas:
    1. Study really hard and do very well in the GRE and Physics GRE
    2. Go back to my local university and pick up a computer science degree or minor. Take some physics classes to get back in the groove.
    3. Get involved in some projects in the physics department or volunteer to help with research etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    Why not just ask one of your professor friends and see what they have to say?

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    So you'll likely be 36-38 when you get your PhD and start your first postdoc. You'll be in your 40's when you get your first real job.

How good is the university you're thinking of going to? People typically move down when they get their teaching/research job. Are you sure where you'll end up is worth the price of admission?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook