1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going back to school for physics

1. Jun 23, 2013 #1
    Hello all,

I am new here, but I believe this is the correct place for this type of thread. If not, I am sorry.

I have just graduated from college cum laude, but with a music major and history major. Before my senior year, I regretted not picking up a physics major instead of my history major. I am not worried about the job scene (or lack thereof) since I already have landed a job. However, I am seriously considering to perhaps go back and take some physics and math classes at a community college in my spare time.

I did indeed take a few classes in astronomy and mathematics in my college career, but I wasn't able to spend a lot of attention on them due to my heavily filled humanities coursework.

Is going back to school a smart idea for me? I'm 22 by the way.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2013 #2
    Hi, congrats on your cum laude award.

Ask yourself a few questions:

Why do you want the degree?

What do you plan to do with it? Will you stop at the AS level or transfer to a 4 year school? What about beyond that?

Is the cost worth it for your goals?

Can you afford it?

Many people here have started their degree beyond the age of 22 and had successful careers, time doesn't really start ticking until after you graduate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook