Going over my first exam (Kinematics)

In summary: The slope indicates that at 4 seconds after being thrown, the rock was traveling at a speed of 11 meters per second.
Chandasouk
I took my first hourly a couple of weeks ago and barely passed it. I was wondering if someone could go over the questions I got wrong since this is going to haunt me in the future?

I. An 8kg crate is being pulled up with a force of F_pull = 60N. Assume the rope is massless and cannot be stretched.

C) The rope can withstand a max tension of 85N without breaking. What is the largest upward acceleration that the crate can experience without the rope breaking?

I did not know how to do this problem. Would I do like Fnet = 85N - 78.4N = 6.6NN

and F=ma

6.6N = 8kga

a = 0.825m/s^2 ?

I'm really not sure.Problem #4

A child is standing on a bridge throws a rock straight down. The rock leaves the child's hand at t=0. Which of the graphs shown here best represents the velocity as a function of time?

The answer resembled this graph

U1L4a6.gif

The first graph on the bottom left , but I do not understand why. Originally, I selected a graph that resembled the first graph on the bottom left, but it's line started at the origin.Problem #5

A rock is thrown directly upward from the edge of the roof of a building that is 34.6m tall. The rock misses the building on its way down and is observed to strike the ground 4.0 seconds after being thrown. With what speed was the rock thrown?

I had no clue how to do this and my answer i selected was wrong. What I did was

34.6m = vi(4s) + 1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(4s)2

vi=28.25m/s which was incorrect. The real answer was 11m/s.An index to describe motion: A bicyclist travels in the negative direction. You measure his velocity at several instants in time, and plot the data. You find that the velocity versus time graph is linear, with a slope of +2.2.

Use everyday language to describe the info the slope tells about this situation. Specifically what does 2.2 mean and what does the "+" mean?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I will give it an attempt, but I'm still new to physics. So, if my answers are errenous, please, anyone, feel free to correct them.

for 1) it's important to realize for an upward accleration, the nforce acting upwards must be greater than the accleration force.
So, the accleration force acting on the box is 78.4N.
Since the rope will break > 85 Newtons, 85N for the rope.
Since n>g, 85-78.4 = 6.6N
Accleration = Fnet/mass = 6.6N/8 = 0.825m/s^2
So, your answer seems right to me.

s1=ut1+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x(-9.8)t12
s2=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x(9.8)t22
t1+t2=4s
so, t2=4-t1
s2=34.6m
so, 34.6=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x(9.8)xt22
Now substitue t2=4-t1 into the equation
34.6=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x9.8x(4-t1)2
34.6=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x9.8x(t12-8t1+16)
now solve the equation
69.2=9.8t12-78.4t1+156.8
9.8t12-78.4t1-87.6=0
t1=

1. What is the purpose of going over my first exam on kinematics?

Going over your first exam on kinematics allows you to review your understanding of the concepts and identify any areas that need improvement. It also helps you to better prepare for future exams.

2. How should I approach going over my first exam on kinematics?

It is important to approach this process with a positive mindset and willingness to learn from your mistakes. Start by reviewing the exam questions and your answers, and then go back to your notes and textbook to reinforce your understanding of the material.

3. What should I do if I don't understand a particular question or concept on my first kinematics exam?

If you come across a question or concept that you are struggling with, don't hesitate to reach out to your instructor or classmates for clarification. You can also seek additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups.

4. How can I use my first kinematics exam to improve my overall grade?

Going over your first exam on kinematics can help you identify your strengths and weaknesses in the subject. By focusing on the areas that you struggled with, you can improve your understanding and performance in future exams, ultimately raising your overall grade.

5. Is it important to go over my first exam on kinematics even if I did well?

Yes, it is still important to go over your first exam on kinematics even if you did well. This allows you to reinforce your understanding of the concepts and identify any gaps in your knowledge that may have gone unnoticed. It also helps to establish a good study habit for future exams.