Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golly, I wonder which way the snow is falling?

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/weather/12/19/winter.weather/index.html" [Broken], right in time for Christmas. So every news agency sends a reporter outside to stand in the falling snow, and to emphasize to the audience how hard the snow is falling, what do they always say...

"It's really coming down out here!"

Sometimes, you hear that phrase with a "Wow" in front of it.

Sigh. English...it's a nice language really, lots of words to choose from, each with nuanced shades of meaning. There must be *thousands* of ways to say "this is heavy snowfall" but that's the only phrase anyone in the media ever uses.

Makes me crazy.

Meanwhile, to all PFers getting gently clobbered with little snowflakes...how's the weather?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2
    Well, it has been coming down here a bit more gently but we expect more flurries do descend upon us tomorrow.

4. Dec 19, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's just the producer's revenge on meteorologists.

On the US news channels (or FOX) you see some perfectly made up, not a hair out of place blond in the studio say, now we go to our weather person...
    Cut to shot outside of some guy in driving snow trying to deliver the same bulletin they could have done more clearly in front of a map indoors.

They should just include the real reason in the link -
    "Now we cut to Joe the weatherman, who is outside in the storm because he didn't predict it would rain for the producer's daughter's wedding."

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Like we've never had snow before. :rolleyes: Maybe it's a big deal in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas. Here in the NE, it's no big deal. It seems to be an annual event.

I pretty much ignore TV reporters who seem to chatter for the sake of chattering.

We're supposed to get ~8'' (20 cm) give or take. The temperature might be up to 20°F (-6.6°C) today - up from about ~12°F (-11°C) during the night. It's been like that for the last 5 days, although there is less wind today - so far. BTW - this is normal weather for this time of year.

Interestingly, the kale is still growing - even with temperatures below freezing. It is certainly an interesting plant. :approve: The Swiss Chard has croaked.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Dec 19, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Move to Maine, and you'll get a bit more variety in the descriptions. Usually, local news-casters don't talk much about snow-storms unless they have caused serious accidents, etc, and the weather-men tend to give more usable descriptions like "It's snowing quite heavily now, especially well inland where the snow is accumulating at the rate of 2-3 inches per hour". Standing out in a blizzard with a microphone is such a cliche...

BTW, thanks to an arctic high that brought us a cold snap the last few days, the storm will be forced off-shore ... Yay! I'm getting sick of shoveling and snow-blowing and it's not even winter yet.

7. Dec 19, 2009 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The other day I was stuck in the railway station for a long time during the evening rush hours, because half an inch of snow fell the night before. Can you imagine that? I have a hard time comprehending why. A clue: they declared an emergency and stopped all railway traffic for hours. On paper that means that all trains are driving on time (because there is no time), which means you cannot ask your money back. That means that at the end of the year, they will not be fined for bad service, because it was an emergency and that does not count. Half an inch of snow that fell the night before, the whole situation was ridiculous.

8. Dec 19, 2009 #7

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here in LA it's 75 degrees. :D

9. Dec 19, 2009 #8
    It hasn't snowed here in 20 years.

10. Dec 19, 2009 #9

Evo

We're getting a dusting of snow here, just starting to collect on the ground. kurdt's getting snow.

11. Dec 19, 2009 #10
    Here in toronto it's snowing a bit and then stops; now melts; repeat. We had a bit of snow come down the other day that was enough to make the roads quite slippery so me and my friends went drifting... it's all gone though.

12. Dec 19, 2009 #11
    Gently snowing all day long. Beautiful, and very funny. It seems Strider thinks its his job to eat all the snow that falls. So he is running around the yard jumping at flakes as they fall. I pity the flakes!

13. Dec 19, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Duke eats snow, too, but he has a special affinity to the snow that is already in my snow scoop or shovel, and he's always getting in the way. If he has eaten a bunch of snow, he gets chilled easy, but I try to leave him hooked out on his run for a bit before I bring him inside, because eventually he will throw up.

My neighbors' granddaughters (4 and 6) think its fun to throw snowballs for him, because he tries to eat them all. Their dog (a shepherd/pit bull mix) has a bit more sense in that regard.

14. Dec 19, 2009 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's been POURING snow here all day! :frown: I was supposed to be on the road to NY to see my bf. It's supposed to stop sometime tonight, and I just hope the roads get cleared quickly so I can make the trip tomorrow instead. I miss him doubly when I'm supposed to be there not here and can't leave home.

15. Dec 19, 2009 #14
    Down. I hope it keeps up.

Something grows in my back yard, but I'm not sure what it is. I think it's an apple bush. I've owned this house for 15 years and this fall was the first time it bore fruit. They look just like apples, but are hard as a rock and don't taste sweet at all. Now I see that it has flowered. Just one little cluster of three little flowers and a green leaf. Perhaps it's a nut.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  16. Dec 19, 2009 #15

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It's falling sideways in my hometown.

17. Dec 19, 2009 #16
    If you are in Cleveland (I am not any longer), they don't even use the word 'snow'. You can't GET them to use the word 'snow'. It's 'Lake Effects', 'Effects', or just 'Activity' LOL.

18. Dec 19, 2009 #17

Evo

LOL, I used to live in Upstate NY and was in a belt of "lake effect" snow. Which meant NO snowfall was less than 18", snow would start in September with the tv contest to guess the day of the first 6" snow, then we would defrost in June of the next year. Although the pitch of the roof was very steep, you always had to have people shovel your roof. Roof collapses were always on the news.

19. Dec 19, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

I had to do an industrial training seminar at a nuke plant in Oswego in 1988. The snow banks were already massive by the onset of winter, thanks to "lake effect" from Lake Ontario. Airport security was crazy on the flight back home - Pan Am 103 was bombed just a couple of days earlier.

20. Dec 19, 2009 #19
    No snow here in eastern Mass. :frown: I was kind of counting on it. Every year I wait till it snows and then I go do my Holiday shopping since everyone stays home (I have 4-wheel drive).

Still waiting....

21. Dec 19, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Persimmon, perhaps? They have a lot of tannins and have to be ripened off after picking before they lose enough astringency to be fit to eat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook