Good book for understanding simple machines

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a simple machine, specifically an over-centre latch, on a mason jar. The person asking for information also mentions wanting to learn more about basic physics and simple machines and asks for suggestions on a good book.
trpastor
Hey guys - I just posted another question, but I was thinking I'd like to have a better understanding of simple physics and machines.

For example, I was trying to find out what simple machine is used on a masons jar (where you have spring tension, and a oblong arc, that holds it down and keeps it from flipping back the other way on it's own)

What would this be called and where could I learn more about basic concepts like this? is there a good book for basics of physics and simple machines?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
trpastor said:
I was trying to find out what simple machine is used on a masons jar (where you have spring tension, and a oblong arc, that holds it down and keeps it from flipping back the other way on it's own)...
...is there a good book for basics of physics and simple machines?
thank you

You mention a very old style of jar; what most of us think of as a "Mason jar" is the newer model with a screw-on retainer for a rubber-gasketed lid. (Mason was the name of the manufacturer, not a reference to the jar's use.) The basic idea is called an "over-centre" latch. It's essentially a cam lock. The outward force acting upon it is actually tightening it.
I have a book called "Physical Mechanics" by Robert Bruce Lindsay, part of the "University Physics Series" that might be what you're looking for. It's far too mathematical for me, but probably not for you. It might be difficult to locate, though, because it was written in 1933. (Mine is the 3rd addition, printed in 1961.)

Last edited:

1. What is a simple machine?

A simple machine is a mechanical device that helps to change the direction or magnitude of a force, making it easier to perform work. There are six main types of simple machines: lever, pulley, wheel and axle, inclined plane, wedge, and screw.

2. Why is it important to understand simple machines?

Understanding simple machines is important because they are the building blocks of more complex machines and structures. By understanding how simple machines work, we can design and create more efficient and effective machines that make our lives easier.

3. What are some real-life examples of simple machines?

Some common examples of simple machines include a seesaw (lever), flagpole (pulley), bicycle (wheel and axle), ramp (inclined plane), knife (wedge), and screwdriver (screw).

4. How can I use a good book to understand simple machines?

A good book on simple machines will provide clear explanations, diagrams, and real-life examples to help you understand the principles and applications of simple machines. It may also include hands-on activities to help reinforce your understanding.

5. Are there any recommended books for understanding simple machines?

Yes, there are many good books available on simple machines. Some popular titles include "Simple Machines: Forces in Action" by Buffy Silverman, "The Way Things Work Now" by David Macaulay, and "Simple Machines (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 2)" by D. J. Ward.