• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Book to understand how differential equation solutions come about?

• Thread starter e-pi
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Guys I read Shaum's outline of differential equations. I understand that for different type of differential equation you need different method to solve the equation.

My problem is i am curious how these methods to solve differential equations came about. I want to get a good understanding of differential equations, as probably in the future i hope to derive my own formula to solve non linear water wave ;9

Any good book to recommend me to read? Nothing too rigourous, I am only a engineer with light mathematical training.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Most people would recommend:
Ordinary Differential Equations by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard
but I haven't read it. I have read Differential Equations by Shepley L. Ross (2nd Edition) and I think its a very good book. I don't quite know if it's what your looking for. Sometimes a solution or method works just because it does and there's nothing more you can say. Like undetermined coefficients in an exponential to solve a constant coefficient homogeneous linear system. It just works and that's that, nothing more and nothing less.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
tenenbaum and pollard is the best general introduction to ord. diff eq. the best books for in depth understanding are those by v. arnol'd.