1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book to understand how differential equation solutions come about?

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    Guys I read Shaum's outline of differential equations. I understand that for different type of differential equation you need different method to solve the equation.

My problem is i am curious how these methods to solve differential equations came about. I want to get a good understanding of differential equations, as probably in the future i hope to derive my own formula to solve non linear water wave ;9

Any good book to recommend me to read? Nothing too rigourous, I am only a engineer with light mathematical training.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    Most people would recommend:
    Ordinary Differential Equations by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard
    but I haven't read it. I have read Differential Equations by Shepley L. Ross (2nd Edition) and I think its a very good book. I don't quite know if it's what your looking for. Sometimes a solution or method works just because it does and there's nothing more you can say. Like undetermined coefficients in an exponential to solve a constant coefficient homogeneous linear system. It just works and that's that, nothing more and nothing less.
  4. May 24, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

tenenbaum and pollard is the best general introduction to ord. diff eq. the best books for in depth understanding are those by v. arnol'd.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?