Good Lord, Lead Poisoning in Other Parts of Michigan Too

• News
  • Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead parts
In summary, Michigan has a lot of zip codes where elevated levels of lead have been detected in the blood of local children. It's not just in Flint where this is a problem, and it's not just kids that are affected; adults can also be impacted.
kyphysics
https://www.yahoo.com/health/lead-poisoning-other-parts-michigan-222900551.html

January 28, 2016

The water crisis in Flint has whipped America into a state of righteous outrage, but just look at the rest of Michigan: In at least 30 zip codes in more than 13 cities across the state, elevated levels of lead have been detected in a shocking percentage of local children — sometimes at almost five times the rate of kids in Flint, according to the The Detroit News.

The numbers add a grim layer to an already-devastating story. While Flint struggles to recover, as many as 20% of kids under 6 years old tested in parts of Detroit — and between 7% and 12% in parts of Saginaw, Ludington, Lansing, Highland Park, Grand Rapids, Hamtramck and a handful of other cities in the state — had elevated levels of lead in their blood as recently as 2013, according to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

The percentage of children in Flint who had comparable levels peaked at 6.4% at the end of 2015, Mother Jones reports.

First, I actually lived in Michigan for 3.5 years (in Ann Arbor, Jackson and Ypsilanti), so I wonder if I could have been affected!

Secondly, does lead poisoning only affect children? No teens/YA to full adults?

Third, what on Earth is wrong with Michigan?! Geez! I've seen some talk about political corruption possibly being the source. What can be done?

***Should I even get lead tested?

Physics news on Phys.org
I live in an older part of my city and most of the water pipes have lead. The city is slowly changing out the pipes, but it takes time. I use water filters.

kyphysics said:
Secondly, does lead poisoning only affect children? No teens/YA to full adults?
Lead (and other heavy metals like arsenic, mercury, etc) affect everyone. Heavy metal poisoning causes nerve damage, but can damage other organs, e.g., kidneys, as well.

Recent research has mostly exonerated lead used in the aquaducts as the cause of the fall of the Roman Empire. The Romans however used lead extensively in their society as the US was doing and by 1980 it was consuming 40% of the world supply.
Read about this in http://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/lead-poisoning-historical-perspective

A lot of information regarding lead and its toxicity can be found in CDC's online course, Its organized in outline form and is easy to get the information your might be interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad areas of california like riverside were named worst drinking water. normal to have lead/arsenic at low levels. Each area has their own problems.

What is lead poisoning?

Lead poisoning is a type of poisoning that occurs when a person is exposed to high levels of lead, a toxic metal. This can happen through contaminated water, air, soil, or products containing lead.

How does lead poisoning occur in other parts of Michigan?

Lead poisoning can occur in other parts of Michigan due to the presence of lead in old paint, soil, and water systems. In addition, industrial activities such as mining and smelting can also contribute to lead contamination.

What are the symptoms of lead poisoning?

The symptoms of lead poisoning can vary depending on the level of exposure and the age of the person affected. In children, symptoms may include developmental delays, learning difficulties, irritability, and loss of appetite. In adults, symptoms may include high blood pressure, joint and muscle pain, and memory loss.

How can lead poisoning be prevented?

Lead poisoning can be prevented by regularly testing and monitoring lead levels in water and soil, avoiding products that may contain lead, and ensuring proper disposal of lead-containing materials. In addition, lead paint in older homes should be removed by professionals and children should be screened for lead poisoning regularly.

What are the long-term effects of lead poisoning?

The long-term effects of lead poisoning can be severe and may include neurological and developmental problems, kidney damage, and an increased risk of heart disease. In extreme cases, lead poisoning can even be fatal. It is important to address lead contamination as early as possible to prevent long-term health consequences.

Back