Good permutations and combinations problems book

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for a book with challenging questions to improve their understanding of a topic. They mention being an A-Level student and having trouble finding good questions apart from past year exam questions. The conversation also includes a recommendation for a Prob and Stats book with clear explanations and a link to an online pdf or purchase option.
toforfiltum
I want to get better at this topic and I have trouble finding good questions apart from past year exam questions. I am currently an A- Level student, so can someone recommend me a good book full of challenging questions at my level?
To give you some idea of the types of questions in the exam, here are some:
upload_2015-8-24_19-40-58.png

upload_2015-8-24_19-41-28.png

Any suggestions would be much welcomed and appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I recently used Walpole and Myers book for Prob and Stats which had rather clear and concise explanations for combinations and such. Maybe not too heavy on sample problems, but it might be helpful nonetheless. Chapter 2 section 2 is all about combinations and permutations.

I found an online pdf here: http://folk.ntnu.no/jenswerg/40CEFd01.pdf

Or you can support the authors and purchase here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321629116/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
RUber said:
I recently used Walpole and Myers book for Prob and Stats which had rather clear and concise explanations for combinations and such. Maybe not too heavy on sample problems, but it might be helpful nonetheless. Chapter 2 section 2 is all about combinations and permutations.

I found an online pdf here: http://folk.ntnu.no/jenswerg/40CEFd01.pdf

Or you can support the authors and purchase here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321629116/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Hey, thanks a lot for the links! The book is useful for other topics that I'm learning too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes RUber

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations refer to the arrangement of elements in a specific order, while combinations refer to the selection of elements without any particular order.

2. How do I know when to use permutations or combinations in a problem?

If the problem involves arranging items in a specific order, permutations should be used. If the problem involves selecting a group of items without any specific order, combinations should be used.

3. Can you give an example of a good permutations and combinations problem?

One example is a lock combination, where each number can only be used once and the order matters. This would involve permutations. Another example is choosing a team of players from a pool of candidates, where the order of selection does not matter. This would involve combinations.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving permutations and combinations problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for repetitions or duplicates in the problem. Another mistake is confusing the order of elements, which can change the solution from a permutation to a combination.

5. Are there any helpful strategies for solving permutations and combinations problems?

One strategy is to break the problem down into smaller parts and then combine the solutions. Another strategy is to use visual aids, such as diagrams or tables, to organize the problem and make it easier to understand.