What is the difference between permutations and combinations in probability?

In summary, the conversation discusses permutations and combinations as the foundation of probability. Permutations are used when order is taken into account, while combinations are used when order does not matter. The equations for permutations and combinations are similar, with permutations accommodating for order by multiplying the number of combinations by the number of possible arrangements. An example using letters of the alphabet and a deck of cards is provided to demonstrate the difference between permutations and combinations.
DmytriE
We're currently studying counting and the different equations which are the foundation of probability (permutations and combinations). I understand that permutations are used when order is taken into account and combinations is for when order doesn't matter.

However, the two equations appear very similar. I don't see how permutations can accommodate for order when combination cannot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which two equations are you talking about?

I guess you mean
\begin{align*}
{}_nC_r &= \frac{n!}{r! (n-r)!} \\
{}_nP_r &= \frac{n!}{(n-r)!}
\end{align*}
Notice that ##{}_nP_r = {}_nC_r \times r!##. Basically, the number of permutations of ##r## objects picked from ##n## is the number of combinations of ##r## objects picked from ##n## times the number of possible arrangements of ##r## objects, namely ##r!##.

Yes, DrClaude those are the equations I was referring to. Do you have a quick concrete example? Maybe using a deck of a cards where I can actually see it for myself.

DmytriE said:
Yes, DrClaude those are the equations I was referring to. Do you have a quick concrete example? Maybe using a deck of a cards where I can actually see it for myself.
It will be easier to use the letters of the alphabet. You are asked to pick three (without replacement). How many different outcomes can you get? You have 26 possibilities for the first letter, then 25 for the second, then 24 for the third, so ##26 \times 25 \times 24 = 15600##. This is the number of possible permutations, as you have taken the possibility of ABC as distinct from BAC, etc. Indeed,
$$
{}_{26}P_{3} = \frac{26!}{(26-3)!} = \frac{26!}{(23)!} = 26 \times 25 \times 24 = 15600
$$
How many possible permutations of ABC are there? You have 3 possibilities for the first letter, then 2 for the second, and then 1 for the last, sp ##3 \times 2 \times 1 = 3!##. So of all the permutations, ##3! = 6## correspond to the same three letters. To find the number of combinations, you have to divide by ##3!##. You get
$$
{}_{26}C_{3} = \frac{26!}{3! (26-3)!} = \frac{26!}{3!(23)!} = \frac{26 \times 25 \times 24}{6} = 2600
$$

DmytriE said:

Try dealing 2 cards from a pack. If the order "matters", then the number of "permutations" is 52x51. Example: 6 of Hearts and King of Clubs is different (permutation) from Kings of Clubs and 6 of Hearts.

But, if the order does not matter (which is usually the case with card games: your hand is the same no matter what order you got dealt the cards), then there are only 52x51/2 combinations.

Example: 6 of Hearts and King of Clubs is the same hand (combination) as King of Clubs and 6 of Hearts.

Likes DmytriE

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both ways of selecting objects from a larger set, but they differ in how they account for the order of the selected objects. Permutations take into account the order of the selected objects, while combinations do not.

2. How do I know when to use permutations or combinations?

The choice between using permutations or combinations depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. If the order of the selected objects matters, then permutations should be used. If the order does not matter, then combinations should be used.

3. Can the formula for permutations and combinations be applied to any set of objects?

Yes, the formula for permutations and combinations can be applied to any set of objects, as long as the objects are distinct and the selection is without replacement.

4. What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for permutations is n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.

5. Is it possible to have both permutations and combinations in the same problem?

Yes, it is possible to have both permutations and combinations in the same problem. This often occurs when there are multiple groups of objects being selected and the order of the groups matters, but the order of the objects within each group does not matter.