1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutations and Combinations Problem

1. May 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In how many ways is it possible to select one or more letters from those in INSIPIDITY?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My initial impression was that this was a combinations problem and I did not have to take into account the repetitions. This led me to over-count because I had counted combinations like SIPI multiple times as SI2PI3 and SI1PI4 are indistinguishable. The only method I could think of was for each number of selected letters to add up the mutually exclusive scenarios that constituted it, as follows

1 letter selected: no I involved, 1 I involved
    2 letters selected: no I's involved, 1 I involved, 2 I's involved
    3 letters selected: no I's involved, 1 I involved, 2 I's involved, 3 I's involved etc.

Apparently ((4+1)(1+1)^6) -1 is a much quicker solution, however I am unable to interpret the logic of this solution. Could someone please explain it to me? Also if anyone could offer some tips on how to tackle these problems I would appreciate it, I have found this to be the most difficult subject I have encountered so far, mainly because there doesn't seem to be a procedure to follow like there was for calculus.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can take (0, 1, 2, 3 or 4) letters "I" -> 4+1 options
    You can take (0 or 1) letters "N" -> ...
    All those choices are independent of each other.

There are always many ways to find a solution, the more ways you know and recognize (needs practice!) the easier it is to find a good one.

4. May 18, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted