Good website to ask coding questions?

• Thread starter SamRoss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coding
In summary: I don't think Stack Exchange would be a good place to post pictures to get help with code. That's not a great idea - much better to use the </> icon editor in the WYSYWIG bar and select SQL, or wrap code in tags.
SamRoss
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Does anyone know of a good website to ask coding questions?
I am trying to learn how to code, reading the info on w3schools, doing Google searches, etc. I recently ran into a small problem with MySQL and wanted to find a good website where I could post the issue I was having and see if anyone had any suggestions. I love PhysicsForums but I'm not sure this is the right place to post a question for every little problem I run into (and I'm sure there will be many). I tried Quora but it's not great because there's no way to upload pictures along with my question so people know what I'm talking about. Can anyone recommend a good website for this?

Technology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure PF is the right place either, but if you want to try then the Programming and Computer Science topic is the one to post in.

Also, posting pictures to get help with code is not a great idea - much better to use the </> icon editor in the WYSYWIG bar and select SQL, or wrap code in [code=sql][/code] tags. Similarly for output.

Likes sysprog
Likes sysprog, valenumr, jack action and 1 other person
StackExchange or here that is the question. Either case is slower than looking for tutorials or examples of what youre trying to do.

When that doesn't work try here as there are several programmers likely to respond. StackExchange does the same although sometimes your post will be tagged as a duplicate and thus less likely to get any responses.

Also be aware that answers may not be timely for either site meaning you may discover the answer before anyone responds.

Likes sysprog, valenumr and jack action
What's wrong with this site? People here are happy to help. Post the code and let people look at it.

There's another forum as big as here:https://www.edaboard.com/
I have not gone to that site yet as I got all my help here already.

Likes sysprog
What's wrong with Reddit? They have sub forums for nearly everything and usually have active members. I ask stupid questions all the time there and people love to explain stuff (especially if it involves themselves, but don't we all heh).

Sub forum you could try is: learnprogramming or just search SQL in search bar, I'm sure there is a dub forum with active people there

SamRoss said:
Can anyone recommend a good website for this?
For MySQL, Physics Forums is definitely a good place because there are many members here who know it very well and can render help. My question on MySQL has received great answers.

I dislike asking questions at Stack Overflow (SO) because there are so many questions coming in every moment, my question almost always gets overlooked. For programming languages like Java, C++, Python, etc., there is, in fact, no need to go to SO because PF already has many learned members in these fields. The only time that I have to go to SO is for asking questions on Android programming, because (I believe) there are not many Android programmers in this place.

Ask your question here first. If you don't get a decent reply, or it goes unanswered for many days, only then head to SO.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
SamRoss said:
Summary:: Does anyone know of a good website to ask coding questions?

I love PhysicsForums but I'm not sure this is the right place to post a question for every little problem I run into (and I'm sure there will be many)
I'm usually able to find answers to my programming questions with a Google search and good search terms. Many of the hits are to stackexchange or some of the wiki sites, depending on my question. Have you not had good luck with Google searches?

Likes phinds and Monsterboy
Wrichik Basu said:
I dislike asking questions at Stack Overflow (SO) because there are so many questions coming in every moment, my question almost always gets overlooked.

But that should also mean there is a high chance of getting an answer there because someone else has already asked your question :wink:

Over the last several years I would think around half or more of my searches for this or that programming issue ends up on stackoverflow eventually. And in all the years I have been "using" this site I never had to actually ask any question myself.

Likes Monsterboy, Keith_McClary and berkeman
Hacker Jack said:
I ask stupid questions all the time there
And not just there ...

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
jedishrfu said:
your post will be tagged as a duplicate and thus less likely to get any responses.
When that happens, they should say which questions it (allegedly) duplicates.

Likes jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
And not just there ...
You talkin' to me!

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and berkeman
Hacker Jack said:
What's wrong with Reddit? They have sub forums for nearly everything and usually have active members. I ask stupid questions all the time there and people love to explain stuff (especially if it involves themselves, but don't we all heh).

Sub forum you could try is: learnprogramming or just search SQL in search bar, I'm sure there is a dub forum with active people there
I looked for Reddit briefly,https://www.redditinc.com/

I didn't see any forum. Can you give me the link to the forum.

Likes jedishrfu
The best forum for this is if you actually post your program, ask the question and actually see how you like the reply.

+1 for stack overflow.

Likes valenumr
I would vote for stack overflow as well. While physics forums does have a dedicate forum, stack overflow is much more focused on computer science.

Sitepoint is very good - used it occasionally for HTML, PHP, MySQL, CSS, Javascript etc. I enjoyed answering questions there and got help when odd things happened in my own work.
It covers lots of languages, and there are lots of intro level books they sell as well.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
SamRoss said:
Summary:: Does anyone know of a good website to ask coding questions?

I am trying to learn how to code, reading the info on w3schools, doing Google searches, etc. I recently ran into a small problem with MySQL and wanted to find a good website where I could post the issue I was having and see if anyone had any suggestions. I love PhysicsForums but I'm not sure this is the right place to post a question for every little problem I run into (and I'm sure there will be many). I tried Quora but it's not great because there's no way to upload pictures along with my question so people know what I'm talking about. Can anyone recommend a good website for this?
Yes, advice at this forum is good. Especially for the lager picture (the algorithms and and theory behind the code. For help with the actual inplementation and syntax Google and stackexchange (as already mentioned) are good sources. Also, IRC is still being used by some of the (us) real nerds. IRC and pastebin is an effective way of asking questions. One just have to remember that even though IRC is live chat questions may still take some time to be addressed.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jedishrfu

1. What is a good website to ask coding questions?

A popular website to ask coding questions is Stack Overflow. It has a large community of developers who are willing to help with any programming related questions.

2. How do I ask a good coding question?

When asking a coding question, be sure to provide enough context and details about the problem you are facing. Include the programming language you are using, any error messages, and what you have already tried. This will help others understand your issue and provide a more accurate answer.

3. Are there any other websites besides Stack Overflow to ask coding questions?

Yes, there are other websites such as GitHub, Reddit, and Quora where you can ask coding questions and receive responses from the community. However, Stack Overflow is the most widely used and trusted platform for coding questions.

4. Can I ask for code solutions on coding question websites?

No, it is not appropriate to ask for complete code solutions on coding question websites. These websites are meant for guidance and advice, not for someone to do the work for you. It is important to put in effort and try to solve the problem yourself before seeking help.

5. How can I contribute to coding question websites?

You can contribute to coding question websites by answering questions, providing helpful comments, and sharing your knowledge and expertise with others. This not only helps the person asking the question, but also contributes to the overall community of developers.