Goodbye and thank you, Mr. Escalante

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thank you
In summary: Jaime Escalante, the math teacher who inspired the 1988 film Stand and Deliver, died Tuesday. He was 79. Escalante completely transformed the school's mathematics curriculum and pushed his struggling students to master advanced math and science courses. At one point, Garfield High School had the fifth-highest number of advanced placement calculus students in the country.Escalante stopped teaching in 1991. He was a teacher in one of the middle schools that feeds Garfield HS in the 90's. Worth a look IMO.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/417625_tvgif30.html

Jaime Escalante, the math teacher who inspired the 1988 film Stand and Deliver, died Tuesday. He was 79.

Escalante died at his son's home after battling bladder cancer for several years, family friend Keith Miller told The Associated Press.

As a math teacher at Garfield High School in East Los Angeles, Escalante completely transformed the school's mathematics curriculum and pushed his struggling students to master advanced math and science courses. At one point, Garfield High School had the fifth-highest number of advanced placement calculus students in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RIP, talented teacher.

From what I heard after he left that school it quickly make a downward deathspiral back towards being the mess that it is today.

aquitaine said:
From what I heard after he left that school it quickly make a downward deathspiral back towards being the mess that it is today.

I'm sure it is a very rough school, but I wouldn't say the work of Escalante was completely lost.

btw, I grew up about ten miles from there.

In 2004, Newsweek ranked Garfield 581st top high school [of ~23,000] in the nation. The rank was based on the number of Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students at a school in 2004 divided by the number of graduating seniors.[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_High_School_(Los_Angeles_County,_California )

Escalante stopped teaching in 1991.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sad, I loved that movie BTW. With all the education woes in my state, the thought of what he did comes to mind often. It just goes to prove that one dedicated man can make a huge difference in the lives of kid's who come from tough backgrounds.

Salute, Mr. Escalante...

Rhody...

1. What was the impact of Mr. Escalante's teaching on his students?

Mr. Escalante's teaching had a profound impact on his students. He inspired them to work hard and believe in themselves, leading them to achieve success in academics and beyond. His students also developed a strong sense of determination and perseverance, which they carried with them throughout their lives.

2. How did Mr. Escalante's teaching methods differ from traditional methods?

Mr. Escalante's teaching methods were unconventional compared to traditional methods. He believed in a hands-on approach, where students were actively engaged in the learning process. He also challenged his students with difficult material and encouraged them to think critically and creatively.

3. What made Mr. Escalante a successful teacher?

There were multiple factors that contributed to Mr. Escalante's success as a teacher. He had a passion for teaching and a strong belief in his students' potential. He also had a deep understanding of the subject matter and used unique and effective teaching methods to engage his students.

4. How did Mr. Escalante's students respond to his teaching style?

At first, some of Mr. Escalante's students were resistant to his teaching style, as it was different from what they were used to. However, as they saw the results of their hard work and dedication, they became more motivated and engaged in the learning process. In the end, they were grateful for Mr. Escalante's unconventional methods.

5. How did Mr. Escalante's story impact the education system?

Mr. Escalante's story shed light on the challenges and inequalities faced by students in underprivileged communities. It also showed the importance of having passionate and dedicated teachers who can make a positive impact on their students' lives. His story inspired educators to strive for excellence and to never give up on their students, regardless of their backgrounds.