Google Doodle celebrates Ada Lovelace's birthday

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Google
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
1
Hi everyone, (Wave)

Have you noticed that today's Doodle is about Ada Lovelace. I think it's one of those rare occasions that Google celebrates the anniversary of a mathematician. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

24o8603.jpg

​
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Very cool! I couldn't see that yesterday but can now. You are ahead of me in international time is probably why. I'm going to tweet about this now :)
 
Most people don't acknowledge mathematicians. Most people don't even realize that Newton was one of two people who invented Calculus... all they know of are apples (Speechless)(Dull)... Very cool Doodle though! Thanks for sharing that!
 
alane1994 said:
Most people don't acknowledge mathematicians. Most people don't even realize that Newton was one of two people who invented Calculus... all they know of are apples (Speechless)(Dull)... Very cool Doodle though! Thanks for sharing that!
Well.. there was at least one more mathematician before Newton and Leibniz who discovered (some) calculus. Archemedes is credited for the method of exhaustion which he used, I guess, for calculating volumes of sphere and other geometrical shapes.
 
alane1994 said:
Most people don't acknowledge mathematicians. Most people don't even realize that Newton was one of two people who invented Calculus... all they know of are apples (Speechless)(Dull)... Very cool Doodle though! Thanks for sharing that!
And I think one remarkable fact about Newton which very few seem to be aware of is that Newton was able to prove that the planets go around sun in elliptical orbits without any calculus or even vector methods. His proof was purely geometric and I think it is one of the most elegant proofs anyone has ever come up with.
 
I'm sure Robert Hooke would have claimed to have thought of it first. (Giggle)