GPS Data Availability - Positions, Clock Readings etc.

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for raw data from GPS satellites, specifically data on satellite positions. They have not found much information through Google and are new to GPS technology. They provide a link to a helpful resource on GPS observables and suggest looking into government websites for more comprehensive information.
Matter_Matters
Hi there! Does anyone know where data from the GPS is available? Any data at all - positions. clock readings anything like that. Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your phone.

Likes BvU
Vanadium 50 said:
Your phone.
..GPS satellite data

##^{50}V\ ## reply is the kind I had in mind (but refrained from...). But MM deserves better: if only he/she gave us a bit more context: you want to look at the raw satellite data with some kind of receiver ? Or you want to know how it all works in detail ?

I'm inclined to ask: what did you NOT find with google ?

BvU said:
##^{50}V\ ## reply is the kind I had in mind (but refrained from...). But MM deserves better: if only he/she gave us a bit more context: you want to look at the raw satellite data with some kind of receiver ? Or you want to know how it all works in detail ?
I'm looking for raw data for the GPS satellites. So, if for example I had data in regards to satellite positions I could plot the data. Then compare with numerical solutions of Kepler and Schwarzschild orbits. Along these kind of lines but by no means restricted to that.
Google hasn't revealed much in terms of actual data. I'm quite new to the GPS so I'm not entirely sure the data is even accessible.

I liked http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ecalais/teaching/geodesy/GPS_observables.pdf as intro. Gov is pretty old, but quite comprehensive.

Likes Matter_Matters

1. What types of data are available through GPS?

The most commonly available types of data through GPS include position data (latitude, longitude, and altitude), velocity data (speed and direction), and time data (clock readings).

2. How accurate is GPS data?

The accuracy of GPS data can vary depending on factors such as satellite visibility, atmospheric conditions, and receiver quality. Generally, civilian GPS signals have an accuracy of about 10-20 meters, while military signals have much higher accuracy at around 1-2 meters.

3. How often is GPS data updated?

GPS data is typically updated once every second, but this can vary depending on the type of GPS receiver being used and the specific application. Some high-precision receivers may update data more frequently.

4. Can GPS data be affected by interference?

Yes, GPS signals can be affected by interference from other electronic devices or atmospheric conditions. This can result in inaccuracies or interruptions in the data being received by GPS receivers.

5. Is GPS data available all over the world?

GPS data is available globally, as long as there is a clear view of the sky to receive signals from at least four satellites. However, some areas may have limited or no GPS coverage, such as inside buildings or in remote locations with obstructed views of the sky.