GR: 3-d star metric deriving from a general form

In summary, the person is stuck on question 2 of their homework and has provided their working for question 1. They are unsure if their expression for ##B(r)## is correct and are trying to impose constraints to ensure continuity at ##r=R## and ##r=0##. They have attempted to find the expression for ##B(r)## and have concluded that it does not have a singularity at ##r=0##. They are asking for help with this issue.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

attached:

freee.png

I am stuck on question 2, and give my working to question 1 - the ##B(r) ## part I am fine with the ##A(r)## part which clearly is the same in both regions seen by looking at ##G_{rr}## , and attempt, however I assume I have gone wrong in 1 please see below for details.

Homework Equations

##G_{uv}=R_{uv}-\frac{1}{2}Rg_{uv}=8\pi T_{uv} ##

##T_{uv}=0 \implies R=0 ## by trace of EFE which plugging this into EFE with RHS zero ##\iff R_{uv}=0##

Therefore we have for ##r>R## : ##G_{uv}=0##
for ## r < R ## : ## G_{tt}=8 \pi G \rho e^{2A(r)} ## and all other Einstein tensor components zero for this region.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think my##e^{2 B(r) } ## must be wrong because, in order to get a metric expression for all ##r## we are asked to and need to impose some constraints that enable continuity at ##r=R## and ##r=0##. I think my methodology for ## r= R## is okay, to relate the two integration constants via setting ##B(r) ## obtained for ##r<R## equal to the constant obtained for ##r>R##. However, the only way I can see that you could talk to ##r=0## is via perhaps setting some integration constant to zero, such that you are preventing there being a singularity at ##r=0## , for e.g as done in the derivation of the FRW metric see here:

singfrw.png

However with my expression obtained in (1) there is no such singularity at ##r=0##, I can't think of any other way we can impose some constraint from ##r=0##?

Here's how I got my ##B(r)##, looking at ##G_{tt}## with ##A(r)=0 ## gives, for ##r<R##:

##e^{-2B(r)} d B = 8\pi G r dr ##
##e^{-2B(r)}=-2\pi Gr^2 \rho + r_{01} ##

##r>R##:
##e^{-2B(r)}/r dB/dr =0 ##
##r_{02}=e^{-2B(r)} ##

and so looking at ##r=R## I have:
##r_{02}= -2\pi GR^2 \rho + r_{01} ##and trying to look at ##r=0##:
##e^{2B(r)}= \frac{1}{r_{01}-2\pi G \rho r^2} ##

(all I can conclude is that ##r_{01} \neq 0 ## )

##r_{01} ## and ## r_{02} ## both integration constants.

thanks...

Attachments

• freee.png
    freee.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 779
  • singfrw.png
    singfrw.png
    14 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
bump. many thanks,

anyone? many thanks

1. What is a 3-d star metric?

A 3-d star metric is a mathematical representation of the geometry of a three-dimensional space, specifically for a star-shaped object. It takes into account the curvature and distance measurements within the space.

2. What is a general form in the context of GR?

In general relativity (GR), the general form refers to the mathematical framework used to describe the theory of gravity. It includes Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

3. How is the 3-d star metric derived from the general form?

The 3-d star metric is derived by applying the general form of GR to the specific scenario of a star-shaped object in three-dimensional space. This involves solving the field equations and choosing appropriate boundary conditions to describe the specific geometry of the star.

4. What can the 3-d star metric tell us about stars?

The 3-d star metric can provide insights into the curvature and distance measurements within a star, as well as the effects of gravity on its structure. It can also be used to make predictions about the behavior of stars in different scenarios, such as in the presence of other massive objects.

5. How is the 3-d star metric useful in understanding the universe?

The 3-d star metric is a fundamental aspect of general relativity, which is a key theory in understanding the behavior of the universe on a large scale. By studying the curvature and distance measurements within stars, we can gain a better understanding of the overall structure and dynamics of the universe.