1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad options aside from physics?

1. Jul 29, 2014 #1
    What other options does one have for grad school with a bachelors in physics outside of doing a masters/PHD in physics? Law school and med school are technically possible I suppose, but what other grad degrees could a physics degree lead to?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2014 #2
    The most popular masters among my undergrad classmates was a masters in education. I think the second most popular was medical physics (which is different from traditional "med school"). Some other ones I can recall were neuroscience and computer science.

You options are pretty open and depend more on what you have done and how you have distinguished yourself than just your physics BS degree.

4. Aug 1, 2014 #3
    Any masters program that is willing to take your money. More practically, any STEM MS makes sense: optics, a myriad of engineering subdisciplines and/or computer science, but these last two may require some additional ground work on your part if your background in electronics or programming is not up to par with the students that traditionally go into them.

5. Aug 3, 2014 #4
    I am currently considering medical physics as my number one option, but it's always good to know there are other things out there. I've also considered doing engineering or economics. I guess I'll have to look into some programs and schools outside of medical physics and see what schools would also potentially accept me into such things.

6. Aug 3, 2014 #5

esuna

Gold Member

Computational neuroscience, bionformatics, quantitative finance to name a few.

7. Aug 3, 2014 #6
    Geophysics/seismology

8. Aug 3, 2014 #7
    Physics majors tend to be at the higher range of scores for the MCAT (only behind BioMedical Engineers), need to check those stats though. Physics can definitely lead to law school (a friend of mine did this, he wanted to go into politics for science advocacy as far as I understand). A physics bachelors can lead to engineering or computer science masters programs with some coursework bringing you up to the speed of the engineering/CS undergrads (though a physics background makes you better qualified than them for certain kinds of engineering). As has been mentioned certain fields of biology and finance would work too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook