1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school application and sending more than they ask for

1. Aug 30, 2013 #1
    I would like to apply to grad schools next Fall. If the school requires 3 recommendations, is it ever a good idea to include more? Also, what do you guys think about including a CV?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Ever? I am sure there is some alignment of the planets where the plus of the 4th letter overcomes the minus of "cannot even follow simple directions". But I can't think of any.

4. Aug 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks Vanadium... I think you are telling me it's a really bad idea?!

5. Aug 30, 2013 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your best bet is to follow as precisely as you can the application procedure.

You don't get bonus points for having a fourth reference.

Most applications will, require you to essentially submit your CV in one form or another. Some will ask for it explicitly. Others will have you fill out a form that contains about 90% of what would typically be on yur CV anyway. So if you're asking whether it's a good idea to put one together at this point, the answer is yes.

6. Aug 30, 2013 #5
    Choppy, thank you very much... your answer is awesome!! I'm really glad I asked, and you answered! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook