Grad school application and sending more than they ask for

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of applying to grad schools and whether it is advisable to include more than the required 3 recommendations or a CV. The general consensus is that following the application procedure precisely is the best approach and it is not necessary to include additional recommendations or a CV unless explicitly asked for.
lonewolf219
I would like to apply to grad schools next Fall. If the school requires 3 recommendations, is it ever a good idea to include more? Also, what do you guys think about including a CV?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ever? I am sure there is some alignment of the planets where the plus of the 4th letter overcomes the minus of "cannot even follow simple directions". But I can't think of any.

Thanks Vanadium... I think you are telling me it's a really bad idea?!

Your best bet is to follow as precisely as you can the application procedure.

You don't get bonus points for having a fourth reference.

Most applications will, require you to essentially submit your CV in one form or another. Some will ask for it explicitly. Others will have you fill out a form that contains about 90% of what would typically be on yur CV anyway. So if you're asking whether it's a good idea to put one together at this point, the answer is yes.

Likes 1 person
Choppy, thank you very much... your answer is awesome! I'm really glad I asked, and you answered! :biggrin:

1. What are the necessary documents to include in a grad school application?

The most common documents required for a grad school application include transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT). Some programs may also require a resume or CV and a writing sample.

2. Can I submit additional materials or documents with my application?

It is generally not recommended to send more than what is specifically asked for in the application instructions. However, if you have additional materials that you believe will strengthen your application, you can reach out to the admissions office to ask if they will accept them.

3. How should I decide which additional materials to include in my application?

If you are considering sending more than what is required, think carefully about how the materials will enhance your application. Make sure they are relevant to your academic or professional experience and will provide valuable insights into your skills and qualifications.

4. Is it okay to send unofficial transcripts or letters of recommendation?

It is always best to follow the application instructions and submit the requested materials in the format they ask for. If the admissions office specifically states that unofficial documents are acceptable, then it is fine to send them. Otherwise, it is recommended to submit official documents.

5. Can sending additional materials improve my chances of getting accepted into grad school?

While it may seem like submitting more materials would make your application stronger, it is not always the case. Admissions committees typically have a set criteria for evaluating applications and may not have the time to review extra materials. It is best to focus on submitting a complete and high-quality application rather than sending additional materials.