Grad school application process (math)

In summary: As for applying to universities, it sounds like you are trying to do too much. You should start by narrowing your focus. Schools accept about 1-2% of applicants, so it's not like you have to apply to 100 schools. You should apply to about 10-15 schools that you think are reasonable fits based on your research.
afkguy
hi, so I'm just finishing up my junior year and would like to try to go to grad school for math. I got into an REU program this summer that ends around the beginning of August and plan to start studying for the GRE sometime during the summer.

Right now though, I'm a little confused as to how I should organize my schedule for this following year. My professors either applied as foreign students or are old enough that they aren't familiar with the application process, and my school only has a few other people interested in graduate school. (I also haven't found any good resources online, but I'm probably not looking hard enough).

So, when's a good time to take the general GRE/subject test GRE? When should I apply?
I was thinking about taking the test in the late fall, apply around january, and see if I get in? Is this how most people do it?

Also, how many schools do people apply to on average? Most people seem to say to apply to a couple safety net schools, a few reasonable ones, and maybe 1 or 2 that are most likely out of reach, so around 10 schools? I just want to get a rough idea so I can pick some schools out based on what the professors are researching.

edit: err wrong forum, sorry

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your professors are quite as clueless as you think. If your school has a PhD program, they see the whole process from the other side. Even if not, it's their job to know the drill. As far as when to apply, every single university has their deadlines on their web site. It's not a secret - you just have to look.

That said, I think you have a bigger problem, and that is, based on the questions you are asking in the homework help section, you are not prepared for a graduate program 18 months from now. You need to be talking to professors about how to get from where you are now to where you have to be.

Ok, thanks. I was hoping there was a consolidated site or something with this sort of info, but I guess not.
Yeah I'm a little worried about not being prepared that well, I figured I would just try and study for the GRE this summer to see if I handled the material well, and if I found out I wasn't cut out for it, then I guess I would just stop and try to do something else.

you haven't even taken real analysis yet

afkguy said:
So, when's a good time to take the general GRE/subject test GRE? When should I apply?
I was thinking about taking the test in the late fall, apply around january, and see if I get in? Is this how most people do it?

The General GRE can be taken at any time. In fact, they're revamping the General GRE this August (2011), so you might want to take it before then if you can just so all the study materials out there (e.g., the things you can find at the bookstore or at the library) are still relevant. In physics (and I assume it's true for math as well), the Verbal score is rather unimportant; just get as close to a perfect 800 on the Quantitative section as you can. Since you're a math person, it shouldn't be hard; it's easy algebra (e.g., comparing ratios) and very basic geometry.

The Subject GRE can only be taken three times a year, something like October, November, and in April. That's it. If you're a Junior now and will be a senior this fall, then you really don't have a choice when to take the Math GRE: November is the latest you can take it and have your score in time for grad school application deadlines (deadlines typically run from the first part of December to the first part of January).

1. What are the requirements for applying to math graduate programs?

The specific requirements for math graduate programs vary depending on the institution, but generally, applicants must have a strong background in mathematics, including advanced coursework and excellent grades. Many programs also require applicants to have taken the GRE exam and to submit letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and transcripts.

2. Is it necessary to have research experience to be accepted into a math graduate program?

While research experience is not always required, it can greatly strengthen an application for a math graduate program. It shows that the applicant has a strong interest in mathematics and has the ability to work independently and think critically. Additionally, research experience can be advantageous when applying for funding opportunities.

3. How important are letters of recommendation in the math graduate school application process?

Letters of recommendation are an essential component of the application process. They provide insight into an applicant's academic abilities, research potential, and personal qualities. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak to these aspects of your application and who can provide strong, detailed letters.

4. What is the timeline for the math graduate school application process?

The timeline for the math graduate school application process varies depending on the institution, but it typically begins in the fall of the year before you plan to start the program. Deadlines for applications can range from December to February, and decisions are usually made in the spring. It is important to research and keep track of specific deadlines for each program you are interested in.

5. How can I make my math graduate school application stand out?

To make your application stand out, it is important to have a strong academic background, including excellent grades and relevant coursework. Additionally, highlighting any research experience or publications can demonstrate your interest and potential in the field. It is also important to tailor your application materials, such as your personal statement, to each program and to have strong letters of recommendation. Finally, submitting your application early and following all instructions carefully can also make a positive impression on admissions committees.