1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school/career change after 5 years of working. Sanity check.

1. Jun 29, 2010 #1
    [Delete] Grad school/career change after 5 years of working. Sanity check.

Edit: I guess I was just trying to convince myself, and I think I'm convinced.

Will probably post specific questions later.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Nice...so just by writing the question, you got your answer. Glad PF helped, in some capacity :smile:.

4. Jun 29, 2010 #3
    Yeah thanks PF :)

Seriously though, reading some of the other posts put me into perspective. What I'm thinking of doing isn't that risky. Still young, no family responsibilities etc.

5. Jun 29, 2010 #4
    Heh, I'm not sure about that. Grad school sure seems risky to me. Investing six years of your life just so that you can compete with 2,000 other physicists for 300 tenure-track jobs seems like quite a risk (scary part: I did not pull those numbers out of my ***, they're real statistics from AIP). But hey, if you want to make a trade, I'll give you my spot in grad school for your job. :smile:

6. Jun 29, 2010 #5
    Yeah there is certainly risks involved. BTW I'm not considering graduate school in physics right now, even though I love it and planned to be a physicist before undergrad. For reasons I won't go into, I went into Comp Eng and am working as a software engineer instead for various reasons (this has caused me some grief, though I still teach myself higher physics). What I'm considering is nanotech/micro electromechanical systems, which falls under ECE. Whether I can get in though is another topic. One thing at a time.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook