Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school/career change after 5 years of working. Sanity check.

1. Jun 29, 2010 #1
    [Delete] Grad school/career change after 5 years of working. Sanity check.

Edit: I guess I was just trying to convince myself, and I think I'm convinced.

Will probably post specific questions later.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Nice...so just by writing the question, you got your answer. Glad PF helped, in some capacity :smile:.

4. Jun 29, 2010 #3
    Yeah thanks PF :)

Seriously though, reading some of the other posts put me into perspective. What I'm thinking of doing isn't that risky. Still young, no family responsibilities etc.

5. Jun 29, 2010 #4
    Heh, I'm not sure about that. Grad school sure seems risky to me. Investing six years of your life just so that you can compete with 2,000 other physicists for 300 tenure-track jobs seems like quite a risk (scary part: I did not pull those numbers out of my ***, they're real statistics from AIP). But hey, if you want to make a trade, I'll give you my spot in grad school for your job. :smile:

6. Jun 29, 2010 #5
    Yeah there is certainly risks involved. BTW I'm not considering graduate school in physics right now, even though I love it and planned to be a physicist before undergrad. For reasons I won't go into, I went into Comp Eng and am working as a software engineer instead for various reasons (this has caused me some grief, though I still teach myself higher physics). What I'm considering is nanotech/micro electromechanical systems, which falls under ECE. Whether I can get in though is another topic. One thing at a time.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook