1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school with liberal arts degree

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    Can I get into a science/engineering grad program with a liberal arts degree? If this is is possible, I assume that one would have to complete a certain number of prerequisites. Is there some kind of standard list? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

Do you mean a degree from a liberal arts college, or some kind of 'general studies' degree? I'm in grad school with a physics major from a liberal arts college, so it's not impossible - actually, most of the other grad students in my program attended liberal arts colleges. But you do need a good deal of background in physics or engineering to enter a grad program on the same topic - if you know you're interested in it, just major in it.
  4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
  5. Feb 26, 2010 #4
    here's what caltech says are minimum entry requirements:
    Mechanics at about the level of Goldstein's Classical Mechanics;
    electromagnetism at the level of Reitz and Milford's Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory;
    atomic and nuclear physics at the level of R.B. Leighton's Modern Physics;
    introductory quantum mechanics at the level of Dicke and Wittke's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics;
    advanced calculus at the level of T.M. Apostol's Mathematical Analysis
  6. Feb 26, 2010 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm guessing that you're talking about grad programs in a US Institution. If that is so, you DO know that most of these science or engineering grad programs have some kind of a qualifying exams that you have to pass to continue with your candidacy, don't you? Now think about your ability to pass that exam based on your background. It isn't just the prerequisite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook