1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 9 Power Problems (Watts/kWh, power rating question)

1. Jan 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So, i need to learn how to do questions with finding out the power rating, and energy etc etc from using the triangles given and i am having some trouble since some of my triangles are missing and i need some help with converting.

2. Relevant equations

1) A hot plate has a power rating of 1250 Watts. How much energy in Kilowatt-hours is used when this hot plate is used for 3.00 hours at a banquet?

3. The attempt at a solution

I converted the watts to kWh so i turned 1250 to 1.25. On the triangle with the variables of "P," "E," and "T," it says E=Pt So i did 1.25*3 and got 3.75kWh.
    The problem is that i thought that "E" was always in joules or Kilojoules so i do not think the answer can be 3.75kWh since that is the power rating.
    If i am correct, i need help with converting the 3.75kWh into joules if that is what i need to do.

Thanks !!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1 Watt = 1 Joule/second
    1 Watt*hour = (1 Joule/second)*3600 seconds = 3600 Joules
    1 kWh = 1000 Watt*hour

Got it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?