1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(GRADE 9 SCIENCE) Equilibrium Tension Force Help Me PLease

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    Hey Guys,

Well im a freshman taking Physical Science and my teacher didn't do a good job explaining this question.

http://prntscr.com/uf6tv <-- thats the problem and i numbered the 6 questions

If you could answer those questions and explain how you got that it would be awesome!

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well for starters, if the system is in equilibrium, what can you say about the sum of the forces in the both horizontal and vertical directions?

You will need to show an attempt or at least some thoughts about how you would start the question. My hint above gives you the starting point.

4. Feb 27, 2013 #3
    ok the sum needs to add up to zero..

so that means

#1 is 350
    #2 is 250
    #3 is 250

i dont understand the tension force part now #4 #5 #6?

5. Feb 27, 2013 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

you've done good so far. Now #5 is just due to the definition of a pulley. It is fairly intuitive. Would we expect the tension in the rope to change as it goes over the pulley, or just stay the same? Then after that, you can consider the other forces on the block m3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted