(GRADE 9 SCIENCE) Equilibrium Tension Force Help Me PLease

In summary, the conversation is about a Physical Science question regarding equilibrium and the sum of forces in horizontal and vertical directions. The person asking for help has provided a screenshot of the problem and numbered the six questions. They are asking for answers and explanations for all six questions. The expert gives a hint about the starting point and the person responds with their attempt, stating that the sum needs to add up to zero. The expert confirms their answer for the first three questions and asks for clarification on the tension force in the remaining questions. The person understands the concept of tension but is unsure about its application to the specific problem.
RunningBack
Hey Guys,

Well I am a freshman taking Physical Science and my teacher didn't do a good job explaining this question.

http://prntscr.com/uf6tv <-- that's the problem and i numbered the 6 questions

If you could answer those questions and explain how you got that it would be awesome!

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for starters, if the system is in equilibrium, what can you say about the sum of the forces in the both horizontal and vertical directions?

You will need to show an attempt or at least some thoughts about how you would start the question. My hint above gives you the starting point.

rock.freak667 said:
Well for starters, if the system is in equilibrium, what can you say about the sum of the forces in the both horizontal and vertical directions?

You will need to show an attempt or at least some thoughts about how you would start the question. My hint above gives you the starting point.

ok the sum needs to add up to zero..

so that means

#1 is 350
#2 is 250
#3 is 250

i don't understand the tension force part now #4 #5 #6?

you've done good so far. Now #5 is just due to the definition of a pulley. It is fairly intuitive. Would we expect the tension in the rope to change as it goes over the pulley, or just stay the same? Then after that, you can consider the other forces on the block m3

Hi there,

Equilibrium tension force is a concept that is often used in physics and engineering to describe the balance of forces on an object. It is important to understand because it helps us determine how much force is needed to keep an object in a state of equilibrium, or balance.

To answer your questions:

1) The tension force is the force exerted by a string or rope when it is pulled taut. In this case, it is the force that is pulling on the object in the diagram.

2) The equilibrium tension force is the amount of force needed to keep the object in a state of equilibrium. In other words, it is the force needed to balance out the other forces acting on the object.

3) The magnitude of the equilibrium tension force is equal to the sum of the other forces acting on the object. In the diagram, this would be the force of gravity (weight) and the force of the spring.

4) The direction of the equilibrium tension force is always opposite to the direction of the other forces acting on the object. In the diagram, this would be upward since the other forces (gravity and spring) are acting downward.

5) The equilibrium tension force is balanced by the other forces acting on the object. This means that the object is not moving because all the forces are equal and opposite, resulting in a state of balance.

6) To calculate the equilibrium tension force, you would need to use Newton's second law, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). In this case, you would need to calculate the acceleration of the object first, using the forces acting on it, and then use that value to calculate the equilibrium tension force.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of equilibrium tension force for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your studies!

Related to (GRADE 9 SCIENCE) Equilibrium Tension Force Help Me PLease

1. What is equilibrium in terms of tension force?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. In terms of tension force, this means that the forces pulling on an object from different directions are equal, resulting in a balanced tension force.

2. How do you calculate the tension force in an equilibrium system?

The tension force in an equilibrium system can be calculated by using the equation F = ma, where F represents the tension force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration, which is zero in an equilibrium system.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium tension force in a system?

The equilibrium tension force in a system can be affected by changes in the mass of the object, changes in the angle or direction of the force, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. How does the direction of the tension force affect equilibrium?

In an equilibrium system, the direction of the tension force is important as it must be balanced with other forces acting on the object. If the direction of the tension force is not in equilibrium with other forces, the object will not remain stationary and will experience acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium tension force?

Some examples of equilibrium tension force in real life include a person hanging from a rope without falling, a bridge supporting the weight of traffic without collapsing, and a book sitting on a table without falling through. In all of these cases, the tension force is balanced with other forces, resulting in equilibrium.