1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate Programs in Applied Math

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    Hi all.

I am trying to get a sense for applications to graduate programs in applied math. What are the general GPA requirements for top-25 programs? I am currently doubling majoring in Physics and Economics looking to do applied mathematical modeling of social science problems (game theory, network theory, ect, ect). I have taken A LOT of math classes, almost enough for a major, but will not having a pure math major hurt my chances? Finally, recommendations for programs to look at are appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
  4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
    i'm also considering applying to the top 10-25 applied math grad schools next fall

i dont think not majoring in pure math hurts you. for the top schools, of course the closer to 4.0 the better

the main thing i'm worried about are the GREs. some applied math grad schools still want you to take the math subject GRE, and i havent taken topology, abstract algebra, and only 1 semester of analysis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook