1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School Admission Advices?

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    Hello fellow forumers. I've been digging around but to no avail in my search for guidelines to being successful with graduate school admissions. I'm hoping that those who have undergone this process can shed some light on this topic.

I am planning to pursue a masters degree in electrical engineering.

I know solid GRE score is imperative, but how important are extracurricular activities such as clubs, sports, and teams? Will doing research be more helpful than extracurriculars?

What are other important factors in admissions to a master's degree program?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2

fss

Your GPA, for one... Research also looks good.

4. Sep 30, 2010 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think extracurricular activities like clubs and sports are important for undergraduate admissions, but are not really looked at for graduate admissions. However, you haven't mentioned references, which are important. I think the important things are references, GRE, GPA, and any indication of ability to do the work, such as research accomplishments, summer internships, etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook