1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate school profile for Caltech

Tags:
  1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    I am an undergrad at Texas A&M, College Station studying aerospace engg. I started college this past spring and will be a sophomore this fall, meaning I start taking aerospace classes,finally! I am aiming to go to CalTech for grad school for the same, Can someone please provide what all I will need to have on my profile when I do apply. Since I had not taken any classes with my own dept my freshman year, I did not get any research there for the summer, but I have been working with CMS group at my univ for this summer.

GPA should not really be an issue, if hells falls down then maybe i drop to a 3.7 by the time I graduate, but I understand that is not enough for caltech, What really makes an Ideal profile for caltech?

Also does anyone have any idea how to get a SURF at caltech? I really want to do that, the research opportunities seem awesome, read some papers that came out from surf, i really want to do it. Any ideas on that?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2
    Take a look at this forum, http://www.physicsgre.com/viewforum.php?f=3 , click on one of the stickies above to look at the credentials of those who were accepted or denied at X school.

However, the threads are based on physics majors so I'm not sure how relevant it is for aerospace engineering. Try searching google, or as some might say "googling."

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3
    I did SURF at Caltech in 2011 - my advice (gathered from completely anecdotal evidence from other non-Caltech students) is that the best way to get into the SURF program is to know a professor who knows the professor at Caltech that you want to work for. Many of the professors get a lot of cold emails asking about SURF, and so a introduction/recommendation from someone that they already know goes a long way. That was essentially how I ended up there, and I knew a few other students who ended up there the same way. Though I can't say whether or not that is the most common way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook