Graduating soon with a BS in Physics

• Thread starter Rotinequo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual will be graduating with a BS in Physics and is concerned about finding a job in the industry. They have a good GPA but no relevant job experience or extracurricular activities, and their only programming experience is from a course. They are considering internships or pursuing a Masters in Physics, but are unsure of its usefulness. They are interested in automotive, software, and military positions, but feel they should have pursued a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering. They are looking for advice and considering other options such as a professional degree or a Masters in a related field.
Rotinequo
So I will be graduating this spring with a BS in Physics, however I feel that I will have quite a rough time when looking for work(I will mainly be looking for jobs in industry). I have a fairly good GPA (~3.7 in physics) but I do not have any extracurricular activities/relevant job experience/research experience for any industry positions. The only job experience that I have is customer service related which is an area which I no longer wish to be working in. The only programming experience that I have is with C++ through my computational physics course, however I feel like that will not be enough to throw on a resume.

I was thinking that it may be a good idea to look for internships over the summer and then from there I can maybe land a decent position somewhere. Another option that I have in mind is going for a Masters in Physics however I do not know how useful that is nowadays. Any advice that anyone can give me? The industry positions that I typically see available in my area are automotive/software/military all of which I find interesting. I sometimes feel like it may have been a better idea to go for Mech Eng. or EE but its too late to do that at this point. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really want to do engineering, it's not too late. Engineering masters programs accept physics majors.

Likes VoloD
To the OP:

Pursuing either an internship with industry or a research internship over the summer is definitely a good idea, as that would provide you with some solid job experience that would be at least technically focused. My other advice would be to build on your programming/software experience. You have stated that you already have experience with C++ through your computational physics course. Why not consider building on that experience by learning more computer languages (either on your own or through online courses through Coursera, EdX, or Codeacademy), and participate in open-source projects (e.g. github)? Pinpointing any projects you've worked on in open-source can be very useful when applying for programming/software positions (having programming experience will also be helpful for you if you're considering working in numerical analysis or scientific programming jobs).

Pursuing a masters degree in electrical or mechanical engineering is another option that is good to pursue if you are interested in working in engineering positions. Some other options include the following:

1. Masters degree in statistics (physics degrees have the quantitative knowledge to be able to pick up knowledge in statistics fairly quickly).

2. Masters in computer science (this would depend on how much you can teach yourself key principles in CS through either your remaining courses in university or through online learning such as Coursera or EdX).

3. Masters in industrial engineering or operations research.

4. Masters or PhD in medical physics (try searching posts by PF Forum contributor Choppy about this).

5. If you are interested, many physics graduates often pursue professional degrees like law or medicine after school.

6. PF Forum contributor Locrian finished his BS in physics and subsequently became an actuary. You may want to search his posts or PM him about that path.

Likes Ben Espen
I really can't say anything that StatGuy did not mention. Only other option I can think of is that you can look into careers like becoming a nuclear technician or even obtaining a Masters of Nuclear Engineering via an online university (they seem to really like Physics types). I personally am pursuing a masters in EE and I also have Physics BS.

Rotinequo said:
So I will be graduating this spring with a BS in Physics, however I feel that I will have quite a rough time when looking for work(I will mainly be looking for jobs in industry). I have a fairly good GPA (~3.7 in physics) but I do not have any extracurricular activities/relevant job experience/research experience for any industry positions. The only job experience that I have is customer service related which is an area which I no longer wish to be working in. The only programming experience that I have is with C++ through my computational physics course, however I feel like that will not be enough to throw on a resume.

I was thinking that it may be a good idea to look for internships over the summer and then from there I can maybe land a decent position somewhere. Another option that I have in mind is going for a Masters in Physics however I do not know how useful that is nowadays. Any advice that anyone can give me? The industry positions that I typically see available in my area are automotive/software/military all of which I find interesting. I sometimes feel like it may have been a better idea to go for Mech Eng. or EE but its too late to do that at this point. Thanks!

What turned you off to a PhD in physics?

What kind of jobs can I get with a BS in Physics?

With a BS in Physics, you can pursue careers in a variety of industries such as technology, aerospace, energy, research, and education. Some specific job titles include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, teacher, and consultant.

What skills will I gain from a BS in Physics?

A BS in Physics will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and scientific research. You will also develop skills in communication, teamwork, and project management, which are valuable in any career.

Do I need to have a graduate degree to get a job in Physics?

While a graduate degree can open up more job opportunities and higher salaries, it is not always necessary to have one. Many entry-level positions in Physics require only a BS degree. However, if you want to pursue a career in research or academia, a graduate degree is typically required.

What can I expect in terms of salary with a BS in Physics?

The salary for someone with a BS in Physics can vary greatly depending on the specific job, industry, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers in 2020 was $122,850. However, this can be higher or lower depending on your level of experience and the demand for physics professionals in your area.

What can I do to stand out as a job candidate with a BS in Physics?

To stand out as a job candidate with a BS in Physics, it is important to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, or part-time jobs in related fields. You can also showcase your skills and knowledge through projects, presentations, and publications. Additionally, networking and staying updated on industry developments can help you build connections and make yourself more marketable to potential employers.