Graph G with n vertices, with connectivity

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: So it looks like we can show that it's correct for k by induction. For k=1, we need to show that diam G +1 \le n, which is obvious because if G is 1-connected then if we take out one vertex then it must be disconnected, which means that to pass from one vertex to another you need to cross thruogh at most n-1 vertices which means that diam G \le n-1.For k=2, we need to show that for every k-vertex subset of G with at least one vertex in it, there is a path from that vertex to every other vertex in the subset. And because there are n-2 vertices in every k-ver
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have a graph G with n vertices, with connectivity [tex]\kappa(G)=k[/tex] i.e its k- connected, I need to show that
[tex] k(diam(G)-1)+2 \le n[/tex]

where diam (G) is defined as the maximal number of edges between two vertices in G (the maximum of them all), in other words its diameter.

Any hints?
even references for a proof will be terrific.

Physics news on Phys.org

I thought even of showing it by induction on k (I forgot to say that k is bigger or equals 1).
For k=1, we need to show that [tex]diam G +1 \le n[/tex], which is obvious because if G is 1-connected then if we take out one vertex then it must be disconnected, which means that to pass from one vertex to another you need to cross thruogh at most n-1 vertices which means that [tex] diam G \le n-1[/tex].

Now for the inductive proof, assume it's correct for k-1 and prove for k.
If we look at graph G with connectivty k, then if we remove from it a vertex and its edges we still get a graph G', but this time with connectivy k-1, and [tex]diam(G') \le diam(G)[/tex], and from the inductive hypothesis:
[tex] (k-1)(diam(G')-1) +2 \le n-1 [/tex]
I don't see how from this to show that it's correct for k.
Anyone?

I only had some brief exposure to graphs in my CS algorithms class. Excuse me if I get in the way...

Is it possible to come up with an upper bound for diam(G) given n and k? After all, it is obvious from the given equation that diam(G) <= 1+(n-2)/k.

Please do reply with the answer if you manage to find it (I'm interested in knowing)

Well thank you for enlightening me.

We know from Menger's theorem that a graph G is k-connected (vertex wise) iff for every two vertices in G they have k vertex-disjoint paths.

so between any two vertices in a graph, G we have another n-2 vertices from which to choose that will make k vertex-disjoint paths, so these paths in total will include at most (n-2)/k vertices, and because the maximal length between any two vertices is at most the number of vertices between them plus one, we get the conclusion.

Thanks, it's amazing how a subtelty can change the way you see something.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well thank you for enlightening me.

We know from Menger's theorem that a graph G is k-connected (vertex wise) iff for every two vertices in G they have k vertex-disjoint paths.

so between any two vertices in a graph, G we have another n-2 vertices from which to choose that will make k vertex-disjoint paths, so these paths in total will include at most (n-2)/k vertices, and because the maximal length between any two vertices is at most the number of vertices between them plus one, we get the conclusion.

Thanks, it's amazing how a subtelty can change the way you see something.

Yay great!

1. What is the definition of a "graph" with n vertices?

A graph is a mathematical structure that represents a set of objects (vertices) and the connections between them (edges). In the context of this question, a graph with n vertices simply means that there are n objects represented in the graph.

2. What does "connectivity" mean in the context of a graph?

In a graph, connectivity refers to the number of edges that are required to connect all of the vertices. A graph with high connectivity means that there are many connections between the vertices, while a graph with low connectivity means that there are fewer connections.

3. How is the connectivity of a graph with n vertices calculated?

The connectivity of a graph with n vertices can be calculated using a formula: c = n(n-1)/2, where c represents the maximum possible number of edges in a fully connected graph. This formula applies to simple, undirected graphs.

4. Can a graph with n vertices have a connectivity greater than c = n(n-1)/2?

No, a graph with n vertices cannot have a connectivity greater than c = n(n-1)/2. This is because the formula represents the maximum possible number of edges in a fully connected graph, and it is not possible to have more edges than this in a graph with n vertices.

5. How does the connectivity of a graph affect its properties and applications?

The connectivity of a graph can greatly impact its properties and applications. For example, graphs with high connectivity are often used in network analysis and communication systems, while graphs with low connectivity may be used in scheduling and optimization problems. In general, graphs with higher connectivity tend to have more complex and interconnected relationships between the vertices, while graphs with lower connectivity may have simpler structures.