Graph Sin(2x+6): Is Parent Function the Best Option?

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, when graphing sin(2x+6), it is better to start with the parent function of sin x and then apply horizontal compression and/or shift translations to get the correct graph. Similarly, for an absolute expression |2x-8|, the expression should be converted to |2(x-4)| and then apply translations. It is important to first consider compressions/expansions, then reflections, and finally translations to ensure the correct graph is obtained. Some schools may teach the use of phase shift calculations, but it ultimately leads to the same result.
barryj
Homework Statement
Graph sin(2x+6)
Relevant Equations
period = 2pi/2, phase shift = 6/2
My question is when I start to graph sin (2x+6) I convert the expression to sin 2(x+3).
My thinking that by doing so I can easily see the period is 2pi/2 and there is a horizontal translation of 3. Some books state that starting with sin(2x+6) the period is 2pi/2 , the same as above, and that there is a phase shift of 6/2. I think it is better to start with a parent function of sin x, then apply horizontal compression and/or shift translations to get the correct graph.

Similarly for an absolute expression |2x-8| I always convert the expression to |2(x-4)| and apply translations.

Comments please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should do whatever makes sense to you.

Edit to add: Assuming it's also correct :)

Likes SammyS and topsquark
barryj said:
Homework Statement:: Graph sin(2x+6)
Relevant Equations:: period = 2pi/2, phase shift = 6/2

My question is when I start to graph sin (2x+6) I convert the expression to sin 2(x+3).
My thinking that by doing so I can easily see the period is 2pi/2 and there is a horizontal translation of 3. Some books state that starting with sin(2x+6) the period is 2pi/2 , the same as above, and that there is a phase shift of 6/2. I think it is better to start with a parent function of sin x, then apply horizontal compression and/or shift translations to get the correct graph.

Similarly for an absolute expression |2x-8| I always convert the expression to |2(x-4)| and apply translations.

Comments please?
Your strategy is the correct one. Look at compressions/expansions first, then reflections, and finally translations.
Starting from ##y = \sin(x)##, the graph of ##y = \sin(2x)## is a compression by a factor of 2 toward the y-axis. Then ##y = \sin(2(x + 3))## is a translation of the compressed function by 3 units to the left. Similar idea for your absolute value function.

If you decompose your given function in the wrong order, you can sometimes wind up with the wrong result, so it's a good idea to check with a couple of points to make sure you've done things correctly.

Likes WWGD
At the high school here they are taught to calculate a phase shift of, in this example 6/2. Ultimately it is the same thing but when starting with 2x+6 the translation is not obvious. I guess our school is teaching "new math".

barryj said:
At the high school here they are taught to calculate a phase shift of, in this example 6/2. Ultimately it is the same thing but when starting with 2x+6 the translation is not obvious. I guess our school is teaching "new math".
No, not "new math." To get the phase shift of 6/2, they are implicitly decomposing 2x + 6 into 2(x + 6/2) (I guess).

I was just kidding about the "new math". I guess I do not understand why they use the phase shift calculation rather than merely use what they already know about transformations.

barryj said:
Its a variable shift here; different shift for each value of x. If the shift was constant, then it would be , e.g., sin(x+3).

1. What is the parent function of Sin(2x+6)?

The parent function of Sin(2x+6) is Sin(x), which is the basic shape of the sine function. The 2 in front of the x indicates a vertical stretch, and the +6 inside the parentheses indicates a horizontal shift to the left by 6 units.

2. Why is the parent function the best option for graphing Sin(2x+6)?

The parent function is the best option for graphing Sin(2x+6) because it allows us to easily see the basic shape of the function and how it has been transformed. It also makes it easier to identify key points, such as the maximum and minimum values, and to make predictions about the behavior of the graph.

3. How do I graph Sin(2x+6) using the parent function?

To graph Sin(2x+6) using the parent function, start by plotting the basic shape of Sin(x). Then, apply the transformations indicated by the 2 and +6 in the function. For example, if the point (0,0) is on the parent function, the point (-3,0) would be on Sin(2x+6) because of the horizontal shift of 6 units to the left.

4. What are the key points on the graph of Sin(2x+6)?

The key points on the graph of Sin(2x+6) are the maximum and minimum values, which occur at the peaks and valleys of the graph, and the x-intercepts, which occur when the function crosses the x-axis. These points can be easily identified by using the parent function and applying the necessary transformations.

5. How can I use the graph of Sin(2x+6) to solve equations involving this function?

The graph of Sin(2x+6) can be used to solve equations by identifying the x-values of the key points, such as the x-intercepts or the points where the function crosses the x-axis. These x-values can then be substituted into the equation to find the corresponding y-values. Additionally, the graph can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the function and to check the accuracy of any solutions obtained algebraically.