Graph transformations from y=1/x to y=(x+3)/(x+1) and y=2x/(x-1)

  • Thread starter Thread starter striker_77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Transformations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
striker_77
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Describe the transformation on the graph of y=1/x needed to obtain the graph of each of the following:

a) y= x+3/x+1

b) y= 2x/x-1

im stuck on how to answer this question...how would i solve this?...thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Learn to use parentheses. It is important, and you seem like a kindergarten pupil when forgetting them.
 
Most peope would interpret x+3/x+1 as x+ (3/x)+ 1. I suspect that you mean (x+3)/(x+1).

Most people would interpret 2x/x-1 as (2x/x)- 1= 2- 1= 1. I strongly suspect that you mean 2x/(x-1).

I would also point out that these look a lot like homework. I'm moving this thread to the "precalculus homework" forum.