Graphene structure obtaining code

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to write a code, possibly in Octave or another language, to generate a graphene structure. The code should allow for customization of the size of the graphene sheet and the position of atoms in the lattice. The idea of using a unit cell with two carbon atoms and repeating it along lattice vectors is discussed, but the speaker is unsure about its effectiveness. They ask for assistance in thinking about how to write such a code, as they are a beginner in programming.
elif24
I want to write a octave code(It can be another language I want to know how should I think to write a such a code ) to obtain graphene structure like in the figure.

This code should give me a graphene sheet which in size I want when I enter the position of the atoms in the lattice.I think that if I describe the unit cell of the graphene which contains two carbon atom and repeat that along lattice vectors directions I can get this figure.I am not sure about that.ıs there anyone can help me to think about writing such a code ? (I just start to learn programming) Thank you..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
elif24 said:
I want to write a octave code(It can be another language I want to know how should I think to write a such a code ) to obtain graphene structure like in the figure.

This code should give me a graphene sheet which in size I want when I enter the position of the atoms in the lattice.I think that if I describe the unit cell of the graphene which contains two carbon atom and repeat that along lattice vectors directions I can get this figure.I am not sure about that.ıs there anyone can help me to think about writing such a code ? (I just start to learn programming) Thank you..
Welcome to the PF.

I don't see a Figure. Did you mean to UPLOAD it? You can use the UPLOAD button in the lower right corner of the Reply box...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I don't see a Figure. Did you mean to UPLOAD it? You can use the UPLOAD button in the lower right corner of the Reply box...
sorry for that..

Attachments

• 12746173_10208118356769950_1861638669_n.jpg
    12746173_10208118356769950_1861638669_n.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 554

What is graphene and why is its structure important?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. Its unique structure makes it the thinnest and strongest material known, with excellent electrical and thermal conductivity. Its structure is important because it determines its properties and potential applications in various industries.

How is the structure of graphene obtained?

The structure of graphene can be obtained through various methods, including mechanical exfoliation, chemical vapor deposition, and epitaxial growth. These methods involve manipulating carbon atoms on a substrate to form a single layer of hexagonal lattice.

What role does code play in obtaining the graphene structure?

Code is used in simulations and models to understand the growth and behavior of graphene. It also helps in optimizing the experimental conditions and predicting the properties of graphene based on its structure.

What are some challenges in obtaining the graphene structure using code?

One of the challenges in obtaining the graphene structure using code is accurately representing the complex interactions between carbon atoms and the substrate. Another challenge is the computational cost of simulating large systems, which requires high-performance computing resources.

How can the graphene structure obtaining code be improved?

The graphene structure obtaining code can be improved by incorporating more advanced algorithms and models to better represent the interactions between carbon atoms. Additionally, utilizing parallel computing techniques can help reduce the computational time and improve the efficiency of the code.