Graphic Design & Science: Fundamental Particles Visualation

In summary, Brendon, a graphic designer studying science communication, is looking for help with visualizing fundamental particles for his MA project. He is inspired by Eames' Power of Ten and other similar works, but is struggling to find well-designed visualizations. He is asking for recommendations on visual material and learning resources for non-scientists.
Gentle Bren
Graphic Design & Science: Fundamental Particles Visualisation

Hello my name is Brendon.

I'm a graphic designer interested in science communication and currently studying a masters in graphic design.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me with a few queries with regards to visualisations of quarks, electrons and the other elementary particles?

First off, i have to explain that I'm no scientist. I love reading and learning about science but i don't really have a very technical brain and i find the nuts and bolts of it all very very hard to absorb.

My major project for my MA is based around 'Orders Of Magnitude' and heavily inspired by Eames' Power of Ten film, Kees Boeke's Cosmic View book and recently the Huang brothers Scale of the Universe websites. I am attempting to reproduce these ideas in print as folded posters. Each fold representing an order of magnitude.

My problem at the moment (other than trying to learn about all this hardcore physics stuff!) is that there are try few visualisations of these ideas, which are interesting and well designed.

So my question really is whether anybody here can point me in the right direction of some interesting visual material, and also any particularly helpful learning materials for the layman?

any help would be very much appreciated

bren

p.s. i hope you don't mind a newbie popping up and asking a question such as this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Gentle Bren said:
My problem at the moment (other than trying to learn about all this hardcore physics stuff!) is that there are try few visualisations of these ideas, which are interesting and well designed.

Cool...

For particles, it may be a good idea to draw a Feynman diagram with a column of numbers. The traditional way of showing a particle is by a ball, but it may make more sense to draw a particle as a "arrow" or something that looks like a wave.

1. What is the purpose of visualizing fundamental particles in graphic design?

The purpose of visualizing fundamental particles in graphic design is to make complex scientific concepts more accessible and understandable to a wider audience. By using visual elements such as color, shape, and design, the information can be presented in a more engaging and visually appealing manner.

2. What techniques are commonly used in graphic design to visualize fundamental particles?

Common techniques used in graphic design to visualize fundamental particles include 3D modeling, illustration, data visualization, and motion graphics. These techniques allow for a more dynamic and interactive representation of the particles, making it easier for viewers to grasp the concepts.

3. How accurate are the visualizations of fundamental particles in graphic design?

The accuracy of visualizations in graphic design depends on the purpose and intention of the designer. While they may not be scientifically accurate down to the smallest detail, the visualizations aim to convey the overall concept and characteristics of the particles in a simplified and understandable manner.

4. How does graphic design play a role in understanding fundamental particles?

Graphic design plays a crucial role in understanding fundamental particles by translating complex scientific data and concepts into visual representations that are more accessible and engaging. It allows for a more intuitive understanding of the particles and their properties.

5. Can graphic design be used to discover new particles in science?

Graphic design itself cannot be used to discover new particles in science. However, it can aid in the visualization and interpretation of data collected from experiments and simulations, which can potentially lead to new discoveries and insights in the field of particle physics.