1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphical Relationship Between ∆x and v

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You're pushing a car up an inclined plane (a hill). Which graph matches the relationship between ∆x and v?

2. Relevant equations

W = K.E. + P.E.
    thus: F∆xcos[itex]\theta[/itex] = 1/2mv2 + mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer is C. I thought the answer was D - I don't understand why the relationship is a negative. Please share an explanation with me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2
    yes answer is c

Ax= Acos(theeta)

so (delta)x = 1/2 * Ax*t^2

and v= A * t

two equations give

delta(x) = 1/2 * cos(theta) * v^2 * 1/A

gives a prabola on x-axis

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3
    Thanks darkxponent! Could you tell me which component in the equation F∆x = 1/2mv2 I could specifically look at and determine the graph is a negative exponent function? Is it because there's a "1/2"? If that is true... will any coefficient < 1 result in a negative exponential function?

5. Jul 16, 2011 #4
    its not exponential but a parabolic function

y=Ax2 is an eqn of parabola with y as its axis.
    more on parabolas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabola

6. Jul 16, 2011 #5

by using diffrential calculus u can find the shape of the graph

if diffrentiation>0 implies graph increeasing
    if diff<0 inmplies graph decreasing

and if double diff>0 :graph up shaped { y= x^2}
    if double diff<0 :graph down shaped {y = - x^4}

magnitude of coefficient has nothing to do with the shape of graph
    but + or - sing changes the shape of the graph only to create mirror image of the same

7. Jul 16, 2011 #6
    Okay, ignoring all else where is the negative component in this equation F∆xcos[itex]\theta[/itex] = 1/2mv^2??

Here's the practice problem verbatim: A student applies force to a stalled car over a distance ∆x to increase its kinetic energy. Which graph BEST represents the relationship between the car's speed and the pushing distance?

Please don't use calculus in the explanation - I'll be clueless.

8. Jul 16, 2011 #7
    u cant even think of physics without calculus!!!

9. Jul 16, 2011 #8
    Yes you can - just memorize the equations : ) Besides I wasn't an engineering or physics major in college and took physics without calculus as electives.

10. Jul 19, 2011 #9
    Update:

1) The correct graph is a square root function, so it looks like the inverse of an exponential function. ...parabola... hyperbole... sigmoidal... etc... none-of that mattered because I just wanted to relate the mathematical function of the graph to the equation I gave, and not so much the graph's shape and how it moves n such. :smile:

2) This is a square root function because when you solve for v in the equation F∆xcosθ = 1/2mv2 + mgh ... we get [itex]\sqrt{}[/itex][2(F∆xcosθ - mgh)/m] = v

So basically I stopped one step ahead of finishing the problem... the function they were asking for (per the graphs) was v(∆x) not v2(∆x)! Otherwise I would have gotten the question correct :redface:

Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook