Connection between V vs I graphs and Ohm's Law

In summary, the homework statement connects Ohm's law and a potential difference vs current graph. Resistance is represented by the slope of the line, which is V/I.
LonelyElectron
Hi all! Wanted to know if this is along the right lines, or if I'm missing anything... Any help is greatly appreciated :)

1. Homework Statement

Explain the connection between a graph of potential difference versus current, and Ohm’s law.

Homework Equations

slope = rise/run
V=IR
R=V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

Ohm’s law states that potential difference is equal to current multiplied by resistance. If this formula were to be rearranged, it could also state that resistance is equal to potential difference over current; a simple manipulation of the formula. Further, potential difference and current are directly related to each other – meaning if one were to increase so would the other, and if one were to decrease the other would also decrease. Additionally, when graphed, their relationship is linear. A potential difference vs current graph will show this, but based on Ohm’s law, it will automatically showcase the resistance as well. Since the current in a circuit is dependent upon the potential difference, when the slope of the line is calculated, the rise is actually the voltage, and the run is really the current. This makes the slope equal to potential difference over current; the exact same variation of Ohm’s law stated earlier. Therefore, a potential difference versus current graph and Ohm’s law are connected both mathematically and graphically, through formulas and their manipulation.

Physics news on Phys.org
LonelyElectron said:
their relationship is linear
Not always. In particular, as a wire gets hotter from the dissipated energy its resistance increases.
This means the local slope is not necessarily the same as V/I. Which of the two represents resistance?

haruspex said:
Not always. In particular, as a wire gets hotter from the dissipated energy its resistance increases.
This means the local slope is not necessarily the same as V/I. Which of the two represents resistance?

Not entirely sure which two you are referring to. Resistance is measured in Ohms and represented by the constant R. The formula for calculating resistance is Ohm's law; V=IR, right?

LonelyElectron said:
Not entirely sure which two you are referring to. Resistance is measured in Ohms and represented by the constant R. The formula for calculating resistance is Ohm's law; V=IR, right?
Suppose you plot a graph of y=V against x=I from some experiment, and it turns out not to be a straight line.
At some point, (x, y)= (I, V), is the resistance y/x or is it the slope of the graph at that point?
Are you saying it is y/x?

haruspex said:
Suppose you plot a graph of y=V against x=I from some experiment, and it turns out not to be a straight line.
At some point, (x, y)= (I, V), is the resistance y/x or is it the slope of the graph at that point?

I am assuming (similarly to the acceleration in those distance time graphs I think it was) that if the resistance were to vary somewhere along the wires, resulting in a non-linear graph, that the resistance would be the slope between any two points, identifiable using tangents. Right? That means that the slope is still the resistance, and will always be the resistance, meaning (x,y)=(i,v) will continue to be the slope, but some variation has been known to occur... Completely guessing here as all the textbook said was that the relationship is linear, and the slope is the resistance.

WAIT WAIT WAIT. It can be done either way. Ohm's law just states that V=IR, the V and the I can be a slope or a point. Both are possible!

LonelyElectron said:
the textbook said was that the relationship is linear, and the slope is the resistance
Ok, if the textbook says it is linear then my answer may be beyond the required level, but...
LonelyElectron said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT. It can be done either way. Ohm's law just states that V=IR, the V and the I can be a slope or a point. Both are possible!
I have seen questions on this forum where it is nonlinear, and for that you need to know what the real definition is: it is V/I, so not necessarily equal to the slope.
You might sometimes see reference to, maybe, "marginal resistance"; that would mean the slope, so dV/dI, not V/I.

Likes LonelyElectron
haruspex said:
Ok, if the textbook says it is linear then my answer may be beyond the required level, but...

I have seen questions on this forum where it is nonlinear, and for that you need to know what the real definition is: it is V/I, so not necessarily equal to the slope.
You might sometimes see reference to, maybe, "marginal resistance"; that would mean the slope, so dV/dI, not V/I.

Okay! So my answer is good for this year, and I'll be better prepared for next year! Thanks so much!

1. What is the relationship between V vs I graphs and Ohm's Law?

The V vs I graph is a visual representation of the relationship between voltage (V) and current (I) in a circuit. This graph follows Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it, given a constant temperature and other physical conditions.

2. How do V vs I graphs demonstrate Ohm's Law?

V vs I graphs show the linear relationship between voltage and current, with the slope of the line representing the resistance in the circuit. According to Ohm's Law, the resistance (R) is equal to the ratio of voltage (V) to current (I), or R=V/I. Therefore, the slope of the V vs I graph is equal to the resistance of the circuit.

3. How can V vs I graphs be used to verify Ohm's Law?

By plotting multiple points on a V vs I graph and calculating the slope of the line, we can verify if Ohm's Law holds true for a given circuit. If the calculated slope is constant and equal to the resistance, then Ohm's Law is verified.

4. Why is Ohm's Law important in understanding circuits?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It helps us understand the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance, and how they affect each other in a circuit. This knowledge is essential in designing and troubleshooting circuits.

5. Can V vs I graphs be used for non-ohmic conductors?

No, V vs I graphs are used only for ohmic conductors, which follow Ohm's Law. Non-ohmic conductors, such as diodes and transistors, do not follow Ohm's Law and therefore cannot be represented by a linear V vs I graph.