Gravitation and planetes: exercise

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment conducted by an astronaut on two different planets, A and B, to determine the ratio of their radii and densities. The first experiment involved throwing a ball vertically upwards on both planets, resulting in heights of 25 cm on planet A and 4 m on planet B. Using the equation E=mgh, the ratio of the radii was determined to be 1/16. The ratio of the densities was also calculated using the equation rho=M/V, resulting in a ratio of 64. The conversation then moved on to discussing the rotation period of the planet, with a tentative solution involving using the equation F=ma to calculate the centripetal acceleration at the equator. However, there was
RHK
This is my first topic. I'm sorry for my english: that is not my language.
On the planet A, sferically symmetric and with no atmosphere, an astronaut on one pole throws in vertical upwards, a little ball giving to it a certain velocity: this ball reaches the maximum height of 25 cm.
The same thing is done on another planet, B, equal in mass to the planet A, and then the ball reaches the maximum height of 4 m.
Requests:
(i) to calculate the planetes radii ratio
(ii) to calculate the planetes densities ratio, with the hypothesis that the planets are uniform.

Successively, the astronaut make the same experiment on the B planet, this time on the equator, verifying that the ball reaches the height of 8 m.

(iii) calculate the rotation period of the planet, supposing that the mass of the planet is 10^27 g and its radius is 5000 km.

Temptative of solution:
(i) We know that E=mgh, so h=E/mg. Writing down the same equation for the two planetes, the following ratio is obtained: (hA/hB)=(R_A/R_B)^2 = 1/16

(ii) The density rho is writable as rho=M/V, where V=(4pi)/R^3, than (rhoA/rhoB)=(R_B/R_A)^3=64

Is this right? And then, how can i proceed for the third point?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the following ratio is obtained: (hA/hB)=(R_A/R_B)^2 = 1/16

chech the working in obtaining the above. I do not think it is correct if the densities of the two planets are not the same.

Thread moved to homework forums.

grzz said:
the following ratio is obtained: (hA/hB)=(R_A/R_B)^2 = 1/16

chech the working in obtaining the above. I do not think it is correct if the densities of the two planets are not the same.

What do you mean? How can density enter to play?
Thanks

RHK said:
What do you mean? How can density enter to play?
Thanks
If you show how you got the ratio of the heights then I can try to find if the method is correct.

This is my temptative for the first point:

E_A=m*g_A*h_A, so: h_A=E_A / m*g_A

E_B=m*g_B*h_A, so: h_B=E_B / m*g_B

Then it's possible to write: h_A / h_B = g_A / g_B

where g=(G M)/R^2 and so: (hA/hB)=(R_A/R_B)^2 = 1/16
What do you think about?

Note that M is the mass of the planet. but there are TWO planets and you have to distinguish between them - planet A and planet B.

I'm sorry: in the exercise text above the two planets masses are equal.
I've fixed the text.

Then I think that i and ii are correct.
As regards iii note that the rotation of the planet causes the acc due to gravity to reduce from that at the pole.
Use F = ma where a is the centripetal acc of a point on the equator towards centre of planet.

Yes, i also thought at that.
But i can not start the problem: F=ma for the centripetal acceleration, where a=R*w^2 and w is related to the period. But i can not proceed...

Is not the centripetal acc the reason that the acc due to gravity reduced by half from that at the pole?

grzz said:
Is not the centripetal acc the reason that the acc due to gravity reduced by half from that at the pole?

Yes, of course it is.
But i don't get the point: I have to build another system with two equation, one for the pole and another one for the equator?

Is it right to suppose a new system, with other two heights (a system for the same planet, with different heights at the pole and the equator)?
In this case i think that at the equator the acceleration is g+a_c isn't it?

RHK said:
i think that at the equator the acceleration is g+a_c isn't it?

Since g[itex]_{equator}[/itex] = (1/2)g[itex]_{pole}[/itex]
then g[itex]_{pole}[/itex]= 2R[itex]\omega[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

I don't understand just a thing: the acceleration at the equator is ONLY the centripetal one? Why?

g[itex]_{equatir}[/itex] = GM/(R[itex]^{2}[/itex]) - R[itex]\omega[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

That's ok :)
Thanks a lot

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are attracted to one another.

2. How does gravity affect the motion of planets?

Gravity is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun. It also affects the speed and trajectory of a planet's movement.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object.

4. How does the mass and distance of a planet affect its gravitational pull?

The greater the mass of a planet, the stronger its gravitational pull. The distance between two objects also plays a role, as the farther apart they are, the weaker the gravitational force between them.

5. How is the universal law of gravitation related to the motion of planets?

The universal law of gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law explains the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system.