Need help with mechanics exercise - Vertical motion of 3 balls

In summary: I would really appreciate any help or hints on how to go on from there.Thanks in advance for your time.
Joze

Homework Statement

So I've been stuck on this exercise for a few hours now, maybe you can help out:

3 balls meet at the same height hm.
Ball 1 is accelerated straight up into the air for 1s from height 0.
When the acceleration stops, ball 2 is launched straight up from height 0 with v2 = 29.358 m/s.
A short time later ball 3 is dropped from height hc=60m.
Each ball has a mass of 1g. The height hm is the maximum height that ball 1 reaches on its flight path.
Friction can be neglected.
1) calculate hm and the acceleration a of ball 1.
2) what is the time between the moment, that ball 2 is launched and the moment ball 3 is dropped from the ceiling hc=60m?

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations for constant acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined:
t0 as the time that the acceleration of ball 1 stops and ball 2 is launched with v2 = 29.358 m/s
t1 as the time that ball 3 is dropped from the ceiling = ?
t2 as the time at which all balls are at height hm = ?
hm as the height at which all balls meet = ?
h1 as the height at which the acceleration of ball 1 stops = ?
hc as the height of the ceiling = 60m
v1 as the velocity of ball 1 when the acceleration stops = ?
v2 as the initial velocity of ball 2 = 29.358 m/s

Then I tried to come up with kinematic equations for all 3 balls:
- Ball 1:
eq1: hm = h1 + v1*t2 - 0.5*g*t22
eq1.1: v12 = 2*g*(hm-h1)
- Ball 2:
eq2: hm = v2*t2 - 0.5*g*t22
- Ball 3:
eq3: hm = hc - 0.5*g*(t2 - t1)2

I wrote the height of ball 1 as a function of time:
h(t) = -0.5*g*t2 + v1*t +h1

The height at which the balls meet is the max point of the function above so I set the first derivative = 0 and solved for t:
h'(t) = -g*t + v1 = 0
So t = v1/g which should be t2

I tried out plugging that into equation 1 and 2 and I also tried to set eq1 = eq2 to solve for something, but from that point I just went in circles and I just can't figure out how to proceed. Maybe I'm blind to something obvious because I've been trying for so long to solve this.

I would really appreciate any help or hints on how to go on from there.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Joze said:

Homework Statement

So I've been stuck on this exercise for a few hours now, maybe you can help out:

3 balls meet at the same height hm.
Ball 1 is accelerated straight up into the air for 1s from height 0.
When the acceleration stops, ball 2 is launched straight up from height 0 with v2 = 29.358 m/s.
A short time later ball 3 is dropped from height hc=60m.
Each ball has a mass of 1g. The height hm is the maximum height that ball 1 reaches on its flight path.
Friction can be neglected.
1) calculate hm and the acceleration a of ball 1.
2) what is the time between the moment, that ball 2 is launched and the moment ball 3 is dropped from the ceiling hc=60m?

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations for constant acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined:
t0 as the time that the acceleration of ball 1 stops and ball 2 is launched with v2 = 29.358 m/s
t1 as the time that ball 3 is dropped from the ceiling = ?
t2 as the time at which all balls are at height hm = ?
hm as the height at which all balls meet = ?
h1 as the height at which the acceleration of ball 1 stops = ?
hc as the height of the ceiling = 60m
v1 as the velocity of ball 1 when the acceleration stops = ?
v2 as the initial velocity of ball 2 = 29.358 m/s

Then I tried to come up with kinematic equations for all 3 balls:
- Ball 1:
eq1: hm = h1 + v1*t2 - 0.5*g*t22
eq1.1: v12 = 2*g*(hm-h1)
- Ball 2:
eq2: hm = v2*t2 - 0.5*g*t22
- Ball 3:
eq3: hm = hc - 0.5*g*(t2 - t1)2

I wrote the height of ball 1 as a function of time:
h(t) = -0.5*g*t2 + v1*t +h1

The height at which the balls meet is the max point of the function above so I set the first derivative = 0 and solved for t:
h'(t) = -g*t + v1 = 0
So t = v1/g which should be t2

I tried out plugging that into equation 1 and 2 and I also tried to set eq1 = eq2 to solve for something, but from that point I just went in circles and I just can't figure out how to proceed. Maybe I'm blind to something obvious because I've been trying for so long to solve this.

I would really appreciate any help or hints on how to go on from there.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Ball 1 accelerates at rate ##a## for the first second, so at time ##t=1## is at height ##a/2## and has upward speed ##a##. (Easiest: let ##a## be dimensionless, so the initial acceleration is ##a## m/sec^2, and let time be dimensionless, so that time is ##t## sec.) Anyway, for ##t > 1## the altitude of Ball 1 is ##h_1 = a/2 + a(t-1) - 1/2 g (t-1)^2##. Set the t-derivative to 0 to get ##t_m,## the maximum-height time. You can also get the maximum height ##h_m## by substituting ##t=t_m## into the equation for ##h##. So far, everything will still depend on the unknown acceleration ##a##.

At time ##t > 1## the height of Ball 2 is ##h_2 = v_0 (t-1) - 1/2 g (t-1)^2## (where ##v_0 = 29.358##), and this must equal ##h_m## at ##t = t_m##. That gives you an equation in ##a## which you can solve.

Likes Joze
Thank you SO much!
Expressing the height and velocity of ball 1 with dependency on a was the missing piece.
Solved it now with your hints :)
Have a nice day!

1. What is the formula for calculating the vertical motion of an object?

The formula for calculating the vertical motion of an object is y = y0 + v0t + ½at2, where y is the final position, y0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (usually -9.8 m/s2).

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance in vertical motion?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position, while distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by the object. In vertical motion, displacement would be the height reached by the object, while distance would be the total distance traveled up and down.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its vertical motion?

The mass of an object does not affect its vertical motion, as long as air resistance is negligible. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects, regardless of their mass.

4. How can we calculate the velocity of an object at a specific time during its vertical motion?

The velocity of an object at a specific time during its vertical motion can be calculated using the formula v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

5. How can we determine the maximum height reached by an object during its vertical motion?

The maximum height reached by an object during its vertical motion can be determined by finding the vertex of the parabolic path using the formula y = y0 + v0t + ½at2. The vertex will have a y-value equal to the maximum height reached by the object. Alternatively, the maximum height can also be calculated using the formula y = (v0)2/2a.