Gravitational force general question

In summary, two bodies on Earth with masses m1 and m2 aligned a distance r from each other have an equal and opposite gravitational force pointing towards each other. This force is generated by the mass of the bodies, including smaller objects like boxes and humans, but is only noticeable when the masses are large enough, such as the Earth's mass.
Miike012
say two bodies on Earth are aligned a distance r from one another with masses m1 and m2.
Do they have a gravitational force that points to each other that are equal and opp direction...

please look at my picture ..

Attachments

• gf.png
    gf.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused because I thought gravitational force was a force that always pointed down or towards the center of the earth...?

Miike012 said:
I am confused because I thought gravitational force was a force that always pointed down or towards the center of the earth...?

No. All mass generates gravity. The boxes have mass, therefore gravity. You and I have mass and therefore generate gravity. For these though, it's just very, very tiny.

Here on Earth, the largest mass we commonly encounter is the Earth's, most other thing we encounter directly are too small for their gravity to be felt.

Thank you

Yes, according to Newton's law of universal gravitation, two bodies on Earth with masses m1 and m2 and a distance r between them will have a gravitational force that points towards each other, with equal magnitude and opposite direction. This force is given by the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant. The picture provided does not change this principle, as long as the masses and distance between them remain the same.

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that governs the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies in the universe.

2. Who discovered gravitational force?

Gravitational force was first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his famous law of universal gravitation, published in 1687. However, the concept of gravity has been studied and observed by many scientists and philosophers throughout history.

3. What causes gravitational force?

Gravitational force is caused by the mass of an object. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force. This force also depends on the distance between two objects - the closer they are, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

4. How does gravitational force affect Earth?

Gravitational force is what keeps all objects on Earth, including humans, on the ground. It also causes the Earth to orbit around the Sun and the Moon to orbit around the Earth. Without gravitational force, our planet and its inhabitants would not exist in their current form.

5. Can gravitational force be observed or measured?

Yes, gravitational force can be observed and measured using various instruments and techniques. For example, the gravitational pull of the Earth can be measured using a scale, and the gravitational force between two objects can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation.