Gravitational force on infinitely long rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of gravitational potential and force between two rods, A and B, with different mass densities and lengths. The problem at hand involves finding the gravitational potential of the end point on rod B closest to A. The solution involves integrating the equation for gravitational potential and using the concept of limits to handle the infinite potential. The conversation also touches on the idea of extending this problem to find the entire potential and force on rod B. However, the integral for the potential seems to be causing difficulties and suggestions for solving this issue are requested.
kaze
A infinitely long rod, [tex]A[/tex], with linear mass density, say [tex]p[/tex], is placed along the z-axis. Another thin rod, [tex]B[/tex], of length [tex]L[/tex] and mass density, say [tex]p_{2}[/tex], is placed orthogonally to [tex]A[/tex] on the x-axis from [tex]x=a[/tex] to [tex]x=a+L[/tex]. What is the gravitational force experienced by rod [tex]B[/tex] from rod [tex]A[/tex]?
I have solved a similar problem which asks for the gravitational potential given a rod of finite length and a point a perpendicular distance away from the rod's midpoint (thornton and marion problem 5-7). I am trying to extend this but not having much luck. So if we were trying to find the gravitational potential of the end point on rod [tex]B[/tex] closest to [tex]A[/tex] we would get:

[tex] \phi =-G \int_{A} \frac{p}{r}ds =- p G \int_{A} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2}} dx = - p G \lim_{z\rightarrow \infty} \int_{-z}^{z} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2}} dx = - p G \lim_{z \rightarrow \infty} \ln(x+\sqrt{x^2+a^2})|_{-z}^{z}[/tex]

This already goes to infinity. I was thinking that I could make [tex]\phi[/tex] a function of [tex]a[/tex] and then once I find a function for the gravitational potential, I'll integrate over rod [tex]B[/tex] to get the entire potential and hence the force by [tex]F=-\nabla U = -\nabla (m U ) = -m \nabla U[/tex]

However, I guess I am stuck at step one since I cannot get the integral to work out. If you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the gravitational force experienced by rod B from rod A will be a finite force per unit length of rod B. since rod B is infinitely long, it would be an infinite force (acting on an infinite mass, and the attractive acceleration would be finite).

edit: WOW, this is my PF post #1000! a sort of milestone.

But B isn't infinitely long. You shouldn't be discouraged by infinite potentials if their derivative is finite. Congrats rbj!

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force on an infinitely long rod?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force on an infinitely long rod is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance from the rod affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the rod and the object. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law.

3. What is the role of the universal gravitational constant in the calculation of gravitational force on an infinitely long rod?

The universal gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant that relates the strength of the gravitational force to the masses and distance between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

4. Can the gravitational force on an infinitely long rod be negative?

No, the gravitational force on an infinitely long rod cannot be negative. It is always a positive force that attracts objects towards the rod.

5. How does the mass of the rod affect the gravitational force on other objects?

The mass of the rod does not directly affect the gravitational force on other objects. It is the combined mass of the two objects that determines the strength of the gravitational force between them. However, a more massive rod will have a stronger gravitational pull on objects compared to a less massive rod, assuming the distance between the objects is the same.