Gravitational lensing as a way of observing Milky Way?

In summary, light from our galaxy is bent back towards us, allowing us an outside view of our galaxy. However, this is theoretically possible only if there are a large number of galaxies nearby that light can be bent through. This idea is less likely because the closer the galaxies are, the less likely it is to be possible to see an image of Earth through them. The other idea, using a black hole to bend light around in 180°, also has little chance of working due to the extremely small window of opportunity.
SheriffPeabody
Hi Everyone,

first post here, another enthusiastic amateur I'm afraid so please excuse my general ignorance!

I struck me the other day that it should be possible to find an arrangement of large galaxies that would allow light emitting from our galaxy to be bent back towards us. This would give us an outside view of our own galaxy once we un-distort the returning light. I've attached a sketch to clarify what I'm talking about.

gravlens.jpg

Would this be theoretically possible? I've been trying to find out, without luck, how much galaxies bend light to estimate how many galaxies you'd need to bend the light through 180°. The fewer and closer the galaxies the better to give us the maximum image size.

While searching for information on this idea, I found a similar idea on another site where someone proposes using a nearby black hole to bend light from Earth through 180° as a way of seeing back in time due to the distance the light has to travel. This is a great idea but seems much less likely considering how close the black how would have to be in order for us to have any chance at resolving an image of Earth through it's gravitational lens. Plus the closer the black hole the closer in time to the present the image would be.

Observing our whole galaxy, even just the shape of it would surely tell us a great deal about where we're from.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this idea from someone who actually knows what they're talking about, rather than ramblings of a hyped up scifi fan like me!

Thanks
P

Space news on Phys.org
Galaxies are not nearly heavy enough to give you this magnitude of gravitational lensing. A quick estimation based on the Buckingham pi theorem would tell you that a light signal passing the Milky Way at the galactic radius would be bent by of the order of ##10^{-5}## radians.

ah ok, so you'd need over 15,000 perfectly aligned milky way sized galaxies to have any hope of this working...

What about the other idea, would a rouge black hole be able to bend light around in 180°?

Even with a supermassive black hole only a tiny window would exist where photons would be bent so severely. The image would be unimaginably faint.

Although I guess in principle it could happen if there were such a thing as an ultra-hyper-super massive hole having the mass of many galaxies.

rootone said:
Although I guess in principle it could happen if there were such a thing as an ultra-hyper-super massive hole having the mass of many galaxies.
Yes, in principle such a monster could perhaps amplify the image. I think an 'Einstein ring' representing the observers own galaxy is a theoretical possibility. It may require an isolated "ultra-hyper-super massive" BH, i.e. with no accretion disk or other interfering material. Anyway, this is speculative.

You would need over 94,000 perfectly aligned galaxies. Don't forget 2*pi*rad=360°. And we'd be observing light emitted billions of years ago. Statistical probability of that many galaxies lining up for us and the time to catch that glimpse in a universe of moving galaxies means no. Never. Won't happen. Good thought experiment though.

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon caused by the bending of light by the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a galaxy or cluster of galaxies. This can create distorted or magnified images of objects behind the massive object, allowing us to observe them in more detail.

2. How does gravitational lensing help us observe the Milky Way?

Gravitational lensing allows us to observe objects and structures in the Milky Way that would otherwise be obscured by dust and gas. By using the gravity of massive objects in our galaxy, we can "see through" these obstacles and study the structures and objects behind them.

3. What types of objects in the Milky Way can be observed using gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing can be used to observe a variety of objects in the Milky Way, including stars, gas clouds, and even black holes. It can also help us study the overall structure and shape of our galaxy.

4. How does gravitational lensing differ from traditional observation methods?

Gravitational lensing allows us to observe objects and structures that would otherwise be impossible to see with traditional telescopes. It also provides a unique perspective and can reveal details that may be hidden from other observation methods.

5. What are the potential applications of gravitational lensing in astronomy?

Gravitational lensing has a wide range of applications in astronomy, including studying the properties and distribution of dark matter in the universe, mapping out the large-scale structure of the universe, and detecting and studying distant galaxies and objects. It can also help us test and refine our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics.