Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Lensing or Inferior Mirage?

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    Can gravitational lensing also be explained by the refraction of light from a more distant object through a gradient of radiant heat and dense cool space?

Same difference? Or completely separate and unrelated?

If unrelated, how can this optical phenomenon be determined as a result of light passing through curved spacetime -vs- heat distortion? (other than Einstein said so)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I've never heard of "dense cool space". What exactly is that supposed to be?

I don't believe the phenomenon can be explained your way. Gravitational lensing behaves exactly as predicted by Einstein and Relativity.

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    I was looking for an explanation more along the lines of principles and laws, not "beliefs" and "predictions."

However, I do believe I've sorted it out. Astronomical Mirages exist as does Gravitational Lensing. And to determine which of the two is causing the distortion of a distant object, one would only need to analyze the light itself -- specifically, its frequency.

If heat / mirage were 'bending' the light, then it would be split into a spectrum since different frequencies refract by different amounts; whereas gravitational lensing acts on all frequencies evenly.

But I get your point: how can a vacuum be dense? I shouldn't have said 'dense.' Cool air is dense; space isn't air. *bonk* Just wish you would've overlooked that rather than trying to provoke an argument. Thanks anyway; maybe next time we can lock horns.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Wow, I think you took my post WAAY over the top lol. None of that was argumentative, but simply saying that I think relativity explains it perfectly. That isn't "prediction and beliefs" as you stated, but is in fact principles and laws that have been proven by evidence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook