1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational potential energy and rotational motion

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A marble is placed at the top of an inverted hemispherical bowl of radius R = 0.30 m. It starts from rest and slides down the bowl without friction. Draw a free body diagram when the marble reaches an angular position θ = 16.6°. From your FBD, sketch the approximate direction of the acceleration.
    1.Calculate the radial component of the acceleration (assuming that the radius of the marble is negligible). (Hint: First find the velocity at θ = 16.6°.)
    2. What is the tangential component of the acceleration when θ = 16.6°? (Hint: Use Newton's second law.)
    3. What is the magnitude of the normal force when the marble loses contact with the bowl?
    4. Draw a free body diagram for the angular position where the marble loses contact with the bowl. Draw the direction of the acceleration next to your FBD. What is the angle θ when the marble loses contact with the bowl?

2. Relevant equations
    PE = mgh
    KE = 1/2mv²
    ΔE = ΔKE + ΔPE
    F = ma
    ac = v²/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. I found the radial acceleration to be 0.817 m/s² by using ΔE = ΔKE + ΔPE and found v final. I then used ac = v²/r
    2. Tangential acceleration is 2.80 m/s² which I found by using ƩFx= Nx -> ma = mgsin(16.6)
    3. Normal force is 0
    4. I am not sure how to find this value. I tired to find the velocity when the marble loses contact and sub that into ΔE = ΔKE + ΔPE to find the final height but I wasn't sure how to find the velocity or if this is even the correct method.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

well - from your answer to 3, where does this happen? Can you make an equation relating the normal force to the angle?

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    I'm not sure how I would set that up. I had thought that perhaps the angle might be 90 since that would make the x-component of the normal force equal to zero (nx = mgsinθ). But the answer was not correct. As to what happens at this point I thought that at the point the ball leaves the acceleration will be equal to gravity, but now I am unsure.

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Reality check: (check my working)
    The normal force is always normal to the surface of the bowl.
    Gravity always points down.
    Measure angle A from the top of the bowl.

for A=0, N=0, F=mg
    for 0 < A < pi, F2+N2=(mg)2

so: F=mg.cos(A) and N=mg.sin(A) for the magnitudes of the tangential and normal forces. The motion is circular but not uniform - there is an angular acceleration - it's not even kinematic.

By conservation of energy, the kinetic energy will be:

T=mgR.sin(A) where R is the radius of the bowl, which puts the tangential speed at:

v2=2gR.sin(A)

centripetal acceleration is, therefore, ac=2gsin(A), giving a centripetal force of:

Fc = 2mgsin(A)

this will be the force pointing towards the center ... which is also what the normal force does! This is twice the normal force - how come?

Anyway - from your own analysis: you'd want to say that the first time there was no contact was at A=0, the location of maximum push is at A=pi/2, so the ball loses contact with the wall at A=pi. (all angles in radiens)

So - draw a free body diagram which does not have a normal force ... what does it look like? Would this be what happens at A = pi?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook