Ice on an inverted bowl: Radial force?

In summary, the question is asking about the distance at which a block of ice loses contact with an inverted frictionless bowl. The solution involves finding the point where the normal force is zero and understanding the concept of centripetal force as the resultant of applied forces. The equation ΣF=ma is used to represent the sum of all forces in the radial direction.
sgholami
Hello! I am just stuck on one part of this question and would be grateful for any help.

Question

A small block of ice slides from rest from the top of an inverted frictionless bowl of radius
R (above right). How far below the top x does the ice lose contact with the bowl?

Equations
  • mgx = mg*sin(θ)
  • mgy = mg*cos(θ)
  • ∑Fr = (mα) + (mg*cos(θ)) - (Fn)
  • ∑Fθ = mg*sin(θ)
  • x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ) ... maybe needed?

Attempt
I found a solution here (http://www.feynmanlectures.info/solutions/particle_on_sphere_sol_1.pdf), and they assert that the ice-cube falls off the bowl when the normal force is zero. That makes perfect sense.

But they also assert that Fn = mg*cos(θ) - mα. The problem is easy to solve from there. But I just can't figure out why the force of centripetal acceleration (mα) is being subtracted from the radial gravitational force (mg*cos(θ)). It seems like the answer is right in front of me -- I just cannot see it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sgholami said:
But they also assert that Fn = mg*cos(θ) - mα. The problem is easy to solve from there. but I just can't figure our why the force of centripetal acceleration (mα) is being subtracted from the radial gravitational force (mg*cos(θ))
It's better to think of it as ΣF=ma, where a is the resulting acceleration in the outward radial direction, i.e. the negative of the centripetal acceleration. What is the sum of forces in the outward radial direction?

Likes sgholami
haruspex said:
It's better to think of it as ΣF=ma, where a is the resulting acceleration in the outward radial direction, i.e. the negative of the centripetal acceleration. What is the sum of forces in the outward radial direction?

Thanks for that pointer. I think this is where my confusion lies.

I figure that, in the radial direction, you have three different forces: Fn in the outward (negative) direction, and mα + mg*cos(θ) in the centripetal (positive) direction. But something about that feels problematic...

Maybe my question really is, what is mα?

sgholami said:
Thanks for that pointer. I think this is where my confusion lies.

I figure that, in the radial direction, you have three different forces: Fn in the outward (negative) direction, and mα + mg*cos(θ) in the centripetal (positive) direction. But something about that feels problematic...

Maybe my question really is, what is mα?
This is a common misunderstanding. The normal force and the force from gravity are both real, applied forces. Centripetal force is not - it is the radial force needed to provide a certain radial acceleration. I.e. it is the radial component of the resultant of the applied forces. Some authors spurn use of "centripetal force", referring only to centripetal acceleration.

Likes sgholami
haruspex said:
This is a common misunderstanding. The normal force and the force from gravity are both real, applied forces. Centripetal force is not - it is the radial force needed to provide a certain radial acceleration. I.e. it is the radial component of the resultant of the applied forces. Some authors spurn use of "centripetal force", referring only to centripetal acceleration.

Aah, thank you again.

So, what I understand is that the centripetal force is just a result of the real, applied forces (namely Fn and mg*cos(θ)). If it's a result of the two...then is it true that mα = mg*cos(θ) - Fn ? Then, said another way, mα is used to represent the sum of all forces in the radial direction?

Likes Chestermiller
sgholami said:
Aah, thank you again.

So, what I understand is that the centripetal force is just a result of the real, applied forces (namely Fn and mg*cos(θ)). If it's a result of the two...then is it true that mα = mg*cos(θ) - Fn ? Then, said another way, mα is used to represent the sum of all forces in the radial direction?
Yes.

Likes sgholami

1. What causes ice to form on an inverted bowl?

The formation of ice on an inverted bowl is due to the presence of moisture and low temperatures. When the temperature drops below freezing, any moisture in the air will condense and freeze on the surface of the bowl.

2. Why does ice form in a radial pattern on an inverted bowl?

The ice forms in a radial pattern due to the shape of the bowl. The curved surface of the bowl causes the moisture to freeze in a circular or radial pattern as it expands outward from the center of the bowl.

3. Is there a specific temperature at which ice will form on an inverted bowl?

The temperature at which ice will form on an inverted bowl depends on the amount of moisture in the air and the surface temperature of the bowl. Generally, ice will form when the temperature drops below freezing (32°F or 0°C).

4. Can the amount of ice on an inverted bowl be controlled?

The amount of ice that forms on an inverted bowl can be controlled by adjusting the temperature and humidity levels in the surrounding environment. Lower temperatures and higher humidity levels will result in more ice formation, while higher temperatures and lower humidity levels will result in less ice formation.

5. What is the purpose of studying ice on an inverted bowl?

The study of ice on an inverted bowl can help scientists better understand freezing and condensation processes, which have important applications in fields such as meteorology, materials science, and engineering. Additionally, it can also provide insights into the effects of temperature and humidity on different surfaces and shapes.