Gravitational Potential Energy of a jump

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
liz_p88
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A high jumper of mass 60.0 kg consumes a meal of 3.00 x 10^3 kcal prior to a jump.
If 3.3% of the energy from the food could be converted to gravitational potential energy in a single jump, how high could the athlete jump?

Homework Equations



Ug = mgh

gravity = 9.8 m/s/s

The Attempt at a Solution



3000 kcal = (4186 J)(3000) = 12,558,000

3.3% of 12,558,000 = 414,414

414,414 J (kg/m^2/s/s) = (60kg)(9.8 m/s/s)(h)

705 m = h

My book says the answer should be 700 m. I got pretty close but I don't know where I might have made a mistake
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I get a similar answer to you using Wolfram|Alpha for the calculations. Most likely the discrepancy with the book is due to rounding along some point.
 
That's what I figured. Thank you for double checking for me.