Gravitational Potential Energy of a particle

In summary, the four-particle system with a mass of 60.0 g each forms a square with an edge length of d = 0.700 m. When d is reduced to 0.100 m, the change in the gravitational potential energy of the system is 1.95422308e-11. This was found by first calculating the potential energy of the system when d = 0.700 m and then when d = 0.100 m, and then finding the difference between the two values.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

Four particles, each of mass 60.0 g, form a square with an edge length of d = 0.700 m. If d is reduced to 0.100 m, what is the change in the gravitational potential energy of the four-particle system?

Homework Equations

U = -GMm/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the U of the system when d = 0.700 m and then I found the U when d = 0.100 m. Using those two values, I found what I believe to be the change in the U of the system. However, I keep getting the wrong answer.

U_1=-6.45898846e-12
U_2=-2.60012192e-11
(delta)U=1.95422308e-11

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out.

Last edited:

I would like to add that the gravitational potential energy of a particle is the energy that is associated with its position in a gravitational field. It is a form of potential energy that is dependent on the mass and separation of the particles. In this case, the gravitational potential energy of the four-particle system is given by the equation U = -GMm/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of one particle, m is the mass of the other particle, and r is the distance between them.

To find the change in potential energy when the distance between the particles is changed from 0.700 m to 0.100 m, we can use the equation (delta)U = U_2 - U_1. Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get (delta)U = -2.60012192e-11 - (-6.45898846e-12) = 1.95422308e-11. This means that the change in the gravitational potential energy of the four-particle system is 1.95422308e-11 Joules.

It is important to note that this value is negative, which indicates that the potential energy of the system has decreased when the distance between the particles was reduced. This makes sense as the particles are now closer together and therefore have a stronger gravitational attraction, resulting in a decrease in potential energy.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that a particle possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move the particle from its current position to a reference point, usually at infinity, where it has no potential energy.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of a particle is calculated using the equation U = mgh, where m is the mass of the particle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the particle above the reference point.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and mass?

The gravitational potential energy of a particle is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the particle increases, its potential energy also increases.

4. How does height affect gravitational potential energy?

The gravitational potential energy of a particle is directly proportional to its height above the reference point. This means that as the height increases, the potential energy also increases. Additionally, the potential energy decreases as the particle moves closer to the reference point.

5. What are the practical applications of gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy has many practical applications, such as in hydroelectric power plants, where water stored at a higher elevation is used to generate electricity. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in a gravitational field, such as planets orbiting around the sun.