Change in gravitational potential energy of four particles in a square

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
peaceandlove
Messages
66
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Four particles, each of mass 60.0 g, form a square with an edge length of d = 0.700 m. If d is reduced to 0.100 m, what is the change in the gravitational potential energy of the four-particle system?

Homework Equations


U = -GMm/r

The Attempt at a Solution


I found the U of the system when d = 0.700 m and then I found the U when d = 0.100 m. Using those two values, I found what I believe to be the change in the U of the system. However, I keep getting the wrong answer.

U_1=-6.45898846e-12
U_2=-2.60012192e-11
(delta)U=1.95422308e-11
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out.
 
Last edited: