Gravitational Potential Energy of a planet

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 7K views
sophzilla
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
I'd be grateful if someone can help me with this problem -

Zero, a hypothetical planet, has a mass of 4.4 × 10^23 kg, a radius of 3.2 × 10^6 m, and no atmosphere. A 2.4 kg space probe is to be launched vertically from its surface. (a) If the probe is launched with an initial energy of 7.4 × 10^7 J, what will be its kinetic energy when it is 4.8 × 10^6 m from the center of Zero? (b) If the probe is to achieve a maximum distance of 8.9 × 10^6 m from the center of Zero, with what initial kinetic energy must it be launched from the surface of Zero?

I started out by using the equation for energy which is E = KE + U (kinetic energy plus potential energy).

So I got 7.4x10^7 = KE + (mGR). But I have 2 main problems: one is, do I use G = 6.67x10^-11? The second question is, I know there is something I have to do with the radius, but I don't exactly know what. Do I do mass of probe/R? I did that but still got the answer wrong...I know I'm doing something wrong with the radius.

Thanks a lot.

*If I get part a, I'm sure I can get the second part by myself.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sophzilla said:
I'd be grateful if someone can help me with this problem -

Zero, a hypothetical planet, has a mass of 4.4 × 10^23 kg, a radius of 3.2 × 10^6 m, and no atmosphere. A 2.4 kg space probe is to be launched vertically from its surface. (a) If the probe is launched with an initial energy of 7.4 × 10^7 J, what will be its kinetic energy when it is 4.8 × 10^6 m from the center of Zero? (b) If the probe is to achieve a maximum distance of 8.9 × 10^6 m from the center of Zero, with what initial kinetic energy must it be launched from the surface of Zero?

I started out by using the equation for energy which is E = KE + U (kinetic energy plus potential energy).

So I got 7.4x10^7 = KE + (mGR). But I have 2 main problems: one is, do I use G = 6.67E^-11? The second question is, I know there is something I have to do with the radius, but I don't exactly know what. Do I do mass of probe/R? I did that but still got the answer wrong...I know I'm doing something wrong with the radius.

Thanks a lot.

*If I get part a, I'm sure I can get the second part by myself.

i think by G you mean g which is the gravitational field strength or the acceleration due to gravity, in Earth's case it is [tex]9.81ms^{-2}[/tex]

also, the gravitational potential energy is [tex]V=\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

because the potential decreases with 1/r. M is the mass of the Earth and m is the mass of the probe in this case G is [tex]6.67x10^{-11}[/tex]

hope this helps

newo
 
PS G=6.67x^-11 the [tex]x[/tex] was meant to be a multiplication sign sorry.
 
Thanks for the gravitational potential energy equation.

Yet I'm still confused about what to use for r:

1494680.jpg


I don't know what the new radius would be. Does the height of the rocket matter? :frown:
 
In the equation for gravitational potential energy, r is the distance of the probe to the center of the planet:
[tex]U = -\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
(note the minus sign)
 
For some reason I'm not getting the right answer (I got part B though, for some unknown freaky psychotic reason).

I did: E = KE - GMm/R which became:

7.4 × 10E7J = KE - (6.67E-11)(4.4 × 10E23kg)(2.4kg)/4.8 × 10E6m

Then got the KE, which was the wrong answer.

I'm still thinking I have to do something with the radius. :frown:
 
You need to consider the change in potential energy as it moves from its initial to its final position.
 
Doc Al said:
In the equation for gravitational potential energy, r is the distance of the probe to the center of the planet:
[tex]U = -\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
(note the minus sign)


oooops yeah i forgot that. lol