Gravitational pull at the center of the Earth

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 7K views
OK I give up. Apparently thinking outside the box is not allowed here. So for myself I'm bringing this to a close.

On the topic of Jupiter, yes I know that is the accepted theory. But, I was asking to postulate a new theory on planet formation not accepted theory on why we have what we have. And in terms of speculation, think with the new theories that we now have in place (accepted or not), not with theories that were used 30 years ago that helped form the current theory on planet formation.

Recall, Einstein literally woke up one morning with that great Aha moment and 6 weeks later we had a very famous equation. I'm not going to even begin to suggest that would happen here. But I have found in my own field of research, that occasionally throwing out accepted theory can lead (sometimes) to some pretty interesting concepts.

So guys, good bye and fun exploring.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Secant said:
OK I give up. Apparently thinking outside the box is not allowed here.
Thinking outside box is a tool for certain situations. You are using the wrong tool for the job. You are providing a solution to a non-problem. Thinking outside the box is inappropraite if the answer is inside the box.

And even if there weren't a satisfactory answer for this problem, what you are doing is not simply looking outside the box, you're looking in the next county. Why not look within a few feet of the box before getting on your bike and peddling?
 
Secant said:
OK I give up. Apparently thinking outside the box is not allowed here. So for myself I'm bringing this to a close.

On the topic of Jupiter, yes I know that is the accepted theory. But, I was asking to postulate a new theory on planet formation not accepted theory on why we have what we have. And in terms of speculation, think with the new theories that we now have in place (accepted or not), not with theories that were used 30 years ago that helped form the current theory on planet formation.

Recall, Einstein literally woke up one morning with that great Aha moment and 6 weeks later we had a very famous equation. I'm not going to even begin to suggest that would happen here. But I have found in my own field of research, that occasionally throwing out accepted theory can lead (sometimes) to some pretty interesting concepts.

So guys, good bye and fun exploring.

Before you can think outside of the box you must know where the sides of the box are. You are not thinking outside of the box, in reality you are simply lost in a dark, dusty corner. When we try to turn on a light, you close your eyes.
 
if you drill a hole to the center of the Earth and out the other side.

you drop your sack of bananas it will drop quickly to the center and pass it, then it will oscillate back to the center and pass it, then oscillate back to the center,...etc. forever
 
rsala004 said:
if you drill a hole to the center of the Earth and out the other side.

you drop your sack of bananas it will drop quickly to the center and pass it, then it will oscillate back to the center and pass it, then oscillate back to the center,...etc. forever
Other than the fact that this has nothing to do with the topic...

It would only work if drilled through the polar axis. Anwhere else and your sack of bananas will intersect the wall as the Earth turns.

And then there's the matter of keeping the hole in vacuum.