Gravitationtrouble setting up equation

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the optimal ratio of m/M that maximizes the magnitude of gravitational attraction between a particle of mass M split into two pieces, M and M-m, and set some distance apart. The formula F_g=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2} is mentioned and the process of finding the optimal ratio is explained through taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero. The conversation ends with a realization and gratitude for the solution.
Saladsamurai
My problem lies in setting this up.

A particle of mass M is split into two pieces, M and M-m, and are set some distance apart.

What ratio of m/M maximizes the magnitude of the gravitational attraction.

I will definitely be needing [tex] F_g=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

I know that after making appropriate substitutions I get.

[tex]F_g=\frac{GM(M-m)}{r^2}[/tex]
but my problem is in how to compare what happens as m-->M?

Any thoughts in the set up?

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
My problem lies in setting this up.

A particle of mass M is split into two pieces, M and M-m, and are set some distance apart.

What ratio of m/M maximizes the magnitude of the gravitational attraction.

I will definitely be needing [tex] F_g=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

I know that after making appropriate substitutions I get.

[tex]F_g=\frac{GM(M-m)}{r^2}[/tex]
but my problem is in how to compare what happens as m-->M?

Any thoughts in the set up?

Thanks,
Casey

You mean that the pieces are m and M-m!
basically, you have to optimize the product m(M-m) as a function of m. Just take the derivative with respect to m and set the derivative equal to zero. That will give you the optimum m and then you may calculate the ratio m/M.

Last edited:
nrqed said:
You mean that the pieces afre m and M-m!
basically, you have to optimize the product m(M-m) as a function of m. Just take the derivative with respect to m and set teh derivative equal to zero. That will give you the optimum m an dthen you may calculate the ratio m/M.

AWWWW! I knew that! I wrote out the product wrong! Thanks nrqed

Casey!

1. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2 / r^2), where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between the objects.

2. How do I set up an equation for gravitational force?

To set up an equation for gravitational force, you first need to identify the masses of the objects involved and the distance between them. Then, you can use the formula F = G * (m1 * m2 / r^2) to calculate the gravitational force between the objects.

3. What is the value of the gravitational constant (G)?

The value of the gravitational constant (G) is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2. It is a universal constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

4. How does distance affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force between them decreases.

5. Can I use the gravitational force equation to calculate the force between any two objects?

Yes, the gravitational force equation (F = G * (m1 * m2 / r^2)) can be used to calculate the force between any two objects that have mass. However, it is most commonly used for objects that have a significant amount of mass, such as planets and stars.