Can gravity be explained by the concentration of energy rather than mass?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concepts of string theory, M-theory, and gravity. The participants discuss the possibility of matter and energy affecting gravitons and bending space and time, as well as the potential for creating a local gravity field. They also touch on the difficulty and complexity of understanding string theory, requiring a strong foundation in various areas of physics.
dolsen
So after watching the tv show titles "Elegant Universe" narrated by Brian green. and after reading his book with the same name among other books of similar interest, I've had a brain storm. According to M-theory strings are opened ended strings that are connected to the universe at each end as they vibrate. gravity however is the only string, according to m-theory, that is a closed loop string able to traverse our brane of our 3dimensional universe. So i was thinking about relativity and how it says that the solar bodies bend the space time. What i have come to think is that maybe the accumulation of matter in space does not bend space time. What if the concentration of mass/energy affects gravitons and its that bends space and time not the matter. think of it like air pressure on a body in the atmosphere. Sort of explains why close to large bodies gravity is most powerful. Now to throw something into the gears, can we create a dense concentration of energy to create a local gravity field that is independent from Earth's. in other words can we make a "craft" appear massless in reference to Earth's gravity for travel purposes.

Physics news on Phys.org
what are gravitons??
what to you mean by a vibrating string?
what is vibrating on the string?
why string theory (old one) requires 26 dimensions?
what are the equations of motion governing a classical string?
etc etc...

etc etc...

gravity

huh. i guess one would have to read about or watch a show about quantum theory in order to know what strings are. i don't know exactly the mathematical equations defining strings or matter. I'm not a physicist, just someone interested in the field. I just through out this idea of my based on what i have learned about string theory and gravity and the universe. So i guess it is possible that what i wrote just might be nothing more than a random collection of familiar words that deal with physics. I thought someone that does know what i am talking about would have some sort of useful input.

Not that i know any much physics(im just an amteur like you)
but i think you learning string theory is going to take a really really long time
try strating with zweibachs textbook its supposed to be for undergrads
but even that is a tough read.I stopped reading it because i realized i need to have a proper background in other areas of physics like sp rel,part physics ,classical and quantum field theory etc...

Most string texts require about 2 years [working knowledge] of study in calculus, relativity and quantum mechanics to be comprehensible.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force in the universe that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is responsible for the motion of the planets around the sun, the formation of galaxies, and many other phenomena.

2. How does gravity work?

According to Newton's law of universal gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the larger the masses of the objects and the closer they are, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

3. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It proposes that all particles in the universe are made up of tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to different types of particles.

4. How does string theory relate to gravity?

String theory predicts that gravity is carried by a particle called the graviton, which is a closed loop of string. This theory also attempts to reconcile the discrepancy between general relativity and quantum mechanics by describing gravity in terms of the behavior of these tiny strings.

5. Is string theory proven?

No, string theory is still a theoretical framework and has not been proven experimentally. However, it is a widely studied and highly debated topic in the scientific community, and many researchers believe it has the potential to provide a deeper understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.