Gravity/Charged Particle Equilibrium

In summary, the condition for the particle to be stable is q/m = gR^2/kQ, and the equilibrium oscillation frequency is \sqrt{gR^2/Q}, which is the same as the case where gravity is ignored and the equilibrium position is shifted from the center of the ring.
bbhill
1) Consider negatively charged -Q ring with radius R and a particle with charge +q and mass m. Particle is confined to movement along the axis that bisects the ring which also points along the force of gravity. Taking into account the force of gravity,

a) What condition must q/m meet so that the particle is stable, and
b) Suppose the above condition holds and the system undergoes small oscillations. Show that the equilibrium oscillation freq is identical to the case where gravity is ignored and the equilibrium position is shifted from the center of the ring.

F(ring on particle)= qE = [tex](-kQqz)/R^{3}[/tex] where z is distance of particle from the center of the ring.

F(gravity on particle) = -mg

Fnet (I think) = Fring - Fgravity

U(potential of ring on particle) = [tex](-kQq)/\sqrt{z^{2}+R^{3}}[/tex]

So what I did at first was just set the Fring equal to Fgravity and I came up that q/m = (gR^{3})[tex]/[/tex](-kQqz) where z is the distance from the ring.

Now I know there must be some way to get this in simpler terms, so I'm wondering if I am even going about this the right way. . .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
q/m = (gR^{3}/(-kQqz)
this condition is wrong. And you need not put the negative sign.

Thanks, I corrected those mistakes.

I ended up getting [tex]q/m=gR^{3}/kQz=gR^{2}/kQ[/tex] since the force of the ring is at a local maximum when R = z.

I've been staring at this for a while and I still have no clue about how even to go about the second part though. I believe that the angular frequency of this system would be [tex]\sqrt{kq/m}=\sqrt{gR^{2}/Q}[/tex]. However, I am confused about how to go about finding the ang freq for a particle that has an equilibrium position away from the center of the ring. . .

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth. It is also responsible for the formation of planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull. This pull is also affected by the distance between two objects - the closer they are, the stronger the pull.

3. What is charged particle equilibrium?

Charged particle equilibrium is a state in which the number of charged particles entering a region is equal to the number of particles leaving the region. This is achieved when the electric field within the region is balanced, resulting in no net movement of charged particles.

4. How is charged particle equilibrium related to gravity?

Charged particle equilibrium is related to gravity because charged particles also experience a force of attraction towards each other, similar to how objects with mass are attracted towards each other by gravity. In a system with both gravity and charged particles, achieving equilibrium requires balancing both forces.

5. What are some real-life examples of gravity and charged particle equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of gravity include objects falling towards the ground, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the formation of stars. Examples of charged particle equilibrium can be seen in lightning strikes, the movement of ions in a battery, and the flow of electricity through a circuit.