Force of one distribution of charge on another

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a ring of radius a with a uniformly distributed positive charge and a segment OA on its axis with a similar charge density and total charge. The task is to find the total force exerted by the ring's distribution on the segment's distribution. The discussion involves applying the equation ##\vec{F}=q.\vec{E}## and calculating the component of the force in the z direction. There is some confusion about the direction of the force and whether the cosine should be taken into account, but it is ultimately concluded that the correct expression for the force is ##\vec{F}_{Ring/OA} = kQ\lambda'\int_0^a \
archaic

Homework Statement

I need help on solving this exercise :
We have a ring of radius = ##a## uniformly charged (total charge = ##Q##) and on its axis a segment ##OA## (length = ##a## also) of uniformly distributed positive electric charges with the charge density ##\lambda'## and of total charge = ##Q## (the same as the ring).

Zwcu3.png

I'm asked to determine the total force ##\vec{F}## that the ring's distribution is exerting on the segment's distribution.

Homework Equations

##\vec{F}=q.\vec{E}##

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all we have, for a point ##M## of ##OA## :
##\vec{F}_{Ring/M}=k\frac{Q.\lambda'dz}{a^2+z^2}\vec{u_z}## with ##k\frac{Q}{a^2+z^2}\vec{u_z}=## the electric field created at ##M##.
##\Rightarrow \vec{F}_{Ring/OA} = kQ\lambda'\int_0^a \frac{dz}{a^2+z^2}\vec{u_z} = kQ\lambda'\frac{\pi}{4a}\vec{u_z}##
Where have I gone wrong?
Thank you!

Attachments

• Zwcu3.png
    Zwcu3.png
    32 KB · Views: 258
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the result must have the following shape
$$\mathrm{Const}\cdot\int_0^\pi \int_0^a\frac{zdzd\varphi}{(z^2+a^2)^{3/2}}$$
where ##\varphi## is the angle on the circle

archaic said:
Where have I gone wrong?
You need just the component of the field in the z direction.

haruspex said:
You need just the component of the field in the z direction.
So multiply by a cosine? But shouldn't that be already taken into account since we're given the charge of the ring? I mean we're supposing that each point of the ring is creating a force.

archaic said:
So multiply by a cosine? But shouldn't that be already taken into account since we're given the charge of the ring? I mean we're supposing that each point of the ring is creating a force.
But what direction is the force from a small element of the ring? Is it along the z axis?

haruspex said:
But what direction is the force from a small element of the ring? Is it along the z axis?
Yes, considering symmetries

archaic said:
Yes, considering symmetries
No, that's the overall result. What are the magnitude and direction of the force from a small element of the ring? What component of that is along the z axis?

haruspex said:
No, that's the overall result. What are the magnitude and direction of the force from a small element of the ring? What component of that is along the z axis?
That would be ##\vec{F}=k\frac{dq_{ring}.dq_M}{a^2+z^2}cos\theta .\vec{u_z}##

Well the force of the whole ring on a point M would be $$\vec{F}_{Ring/M}=k\frac{Q.\lambda'dz}{a^2+z^2}\cos{\theta}.\vec{u_z}$$ then substitute the cosine with ##\frac{z}{\sqrt{a^2+z^2}}## and so $$\vec{F}_{Ring/OA} = kQ\lambda'\int_0^a \frac{z.dz}{(a^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\vec{u_z}$$
I guess that's it, thank you!

What made me rethink using the cosine here is the fact that we're given the total charge of the ring, in my mind I was literally picturing myself looking from "a charge on the ring" point of view and I was imagining lines from all the other charges, as well as the one I'm looking from, moving towards a point M and naturally the electric field at that point was in the ##\vec{u_z}## direction, so I thought maybe we ought to directly express the field as ##E=k\frac{Q}{a^2+z^2}\vec{u_z}##

What is the force of one distribution of charge on another?

The force of one distribution of charge on another is a measure of the interaction between two charged objects. It is determined by the amount of charge on each object and the distance between them.

How is the force of one distribution of charge on another calculated?

The force of one distribution of charge on another can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the two charges divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant.

What factors affect the force of one distribution of charge on another?

The force of one distribution of charge on another is affected by the amount of charge on each object, the distance between them, and the medium in which the objects are located. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charged objects can also influence the force.

What is the relationship between the force of one distribution of charge on another and the distance between the objects?

The force of one distribution of charge on another is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

Can the force of one distribution of charge on another be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, the force of one distribution of charge on another can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the objects. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) will attract each other.